iPhone buying...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryans79, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hello,

I will be visiting the US (Los Angeles) and then Canada in a short while, i'm at the other side of the pond in Europe and have a few questions about buying an iPhone 3Gs.

Other than the fact that we get screwed with 20%-25% extra on taxes, the problem is the 3Gs does not get "released" here well past the 19th June date that N.America sees.. so am thinking of picking up an iPhone on my visit, but a few questions:

1. Can i just go to an apple store and pick one up or are these sold ONLY via contract (i dont think i qualify for a contract as i wont be there long)

2. i read somewhere that without a carrier the phone (8gb) would sell for 499$, is this true?

Any thoughts of yours are most welcome, even if they are slightly off topic.

Thanks!
    R

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

In both the US and Canada, the legitimate purchase of an iPhone is tied to an contract. If you went into a US Apple store, I highly doubt they wouldn't let you establish an AT&T contract since you aren't a resident of the US.

Much the same if you tried it at a Rogers/Fido store in Canada.

Oh, and the June 19th release includes France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and the UK. You didn't say from where in Europe you are, but if it's one of these countries, you won't have to wait.

3. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Is the "wouldn't" correct on top or a typo?

Unfortunately I am in the Scandinavian belt of countries :(

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

I know that at least in previous months, they were selling phones without contracts at Apple retail stores. You did, however, have to sign up for AT&T. I'm not so sure that they would let you create an account like that if you're not a resident of the country, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. The price that you cited above for the 8GB model is correct, with each increment costing an additional $100.