iPhone. By it one place, use at another?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yoyo5280, Jun 14, 2008.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Hey!
    I am currently livin it up in Japan. I am really hoping to buy the iPhone. However I MAY be moving in 1 year or so and I would deffinantly want to bring the iPhone with me. Can I just go to another country and use the iPhone provider there or am I locked to softbank?

Also does anybody know how S! Mail will work on JiPhone?

2. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

its buy, and just notify you're carrier you're moving they'll cancel your contract and you can go unlock it with the carrier of your choice in that country, or jailbreaking always works

3. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

so its locked to softbank, and when I move I have to unlock it? Darn. THen again that means I can use it on any carrier when I move right?

4. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

if you wanna do it the official way, then yes, only the carriers that the iphone is available to, but if you jailbreak it you have access to any carrier.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Are phones in Japan regularly locked? I was hoping it would also be available unlocked in Japan, because if it doesn't come that way in Australia, I was thinking about buying it in Japan. :eek:

6. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

7. evilboy macrumors member

iPhone will be locked to SoftBank, and NO SoftBank will NOT unlock it when you cancel your contract, end your contract, etc (read the agreement). So far there is no unlocking/jailbreaking method developed for iPhone 3G, so unless dev community came up with something and you are eager to try it, you won't be able to use SoftBank's iPhone 3G outside Japan. (except roaming of course)

8. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

That is bad. Anybody recomend any good UNLOCKED phones that are comparable to the iPhone? I am looking at a couple Nokias (6500 Slide and N73) but there must be other options.

9. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

There's a rumor floating around that if you were to say buy an iPhone from ATT in American. Toodle over to the UK made a British iTunes account and got an o2 sim card you would be able to activate on O2.

Basically saying the phone will work for any Apple specified carrier. I wish someone would confirm this though.

10. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280