iPhone cable extension

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by britboyj, Nov 5, 2011.

1. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So I've tried googling this, but the sheer number of cheap Chinese knockoff products for this are crazy so I figured I'd ask for anyone with experience.

Due to my number and my car's connector being.. Large, I need a 30-pin to. 30-pin cable that transmits audio and allows in-car control. Power is a plus, but not required.

Here's the catch: it needs to be small enough on the male end to fit into the slot on a bumper.

Any experience or suggestions?

2. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

none of the 30 pin to 30 pin extenders that I found could fit in the apple bumper

they do sell 4 pin to 4 pin ones that will work ( ie for docking iphone or charging) that are small enough

but again the 30 pin ones are just too big to work with the bumper opening

3. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I've had 3 different ones and they're all large as well.. Could just shave the plastic, they're cheap enough..

4. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

It says it might fit, but Bumpers are a special case. The Verizon/Universal Bumpers do have a slightly bigger hole, since they'll take the old "push-in" dock connectors as well as the newer pop-in-pop-out ones, the original GSM-iPhone4 ones wouldn't take anything but!

I've tweeted at them to ask if they know if it'll fit. Here's hoping!

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

will not work

the only thing that fits in the OEM bumper is the stock 4 pin cables (USB)

the 30 pin , even the apple ones are thicker all around

6. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

*buzzer noise*

Wrong. The 30-pin, thicker Apple ones (the mechanical ones) still work with the newer bumpers (Verizon iPhone 4 and newer). Most other small 3rd party ones also fit.

The RadTech Shortz Extender also fits: http://www.radtech.us/Products/procable-shortz-30pin-dock-extender.aspx
    This is what I ordered. It works a charm!

7. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Post pics of shut up

I have an original OEM bumper, a verizon bumper, a SGP EX bumper and all of them will only work with the smaller apple usb cable

none of them will any of the following 30 pin cables

APPLE AV cables
    Apple HDMI adapter
    Schosche Apple AV cables
    Ebay Chinese 30 pin extension cable

You asked if any 30 pin cables or 30 pin to 30 pin cables will work with the OEM bumper and none of them will

radtech adapter =/= 30 pin cable

It will convert a 30 pin cable into something smaller that will fit in the bumper but that is not what you were asking for.