iPhone cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orawalie, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Orawalie macrumors newbie

Are the cables for iPhone and iPod interchangeable? Can I use iPod's cable to charge iPhone (either hook onto computer or wall)?
    Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can only use USB cables + wall chargers to charge an iPod 3G. Same for sync: USB only.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I found though I'm not sure that this is always true. That the cable that comes with an iPod will sync my phone and charge it when plugged into my computer, but doesn't work with the plug that comes with the iPhone. But the cable that comes with the iPhone will do it all.

4. Orawalie thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. If that's true at least I can charge my iPhone with my computer at work and with the wall charger at home.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've had no problems at all interchanging iPod and iPhone USB cables. If you have an older firewire one, it won't work but apart from that I find I can use any iPod cable with my iPhone and vice-versa. This is into the wall charger, an in-car USB charger or my computer

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm pretty sure all iPod-Connector (30-pin) to USB cables are fully compatible.

If it can plug in, it should work with your iPhone / iPod. It's when you start getting into weird accesorries (in-Car, mini-stereo, etc.) that things can get weird.

7. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

I've been interchanging my ipod and iphone usb cables without any problems.