Iphone calendar question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhansensfd, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bhansensfd macrumors member

Using following equipment.

Windows XP
    Outlook 2000
    (2) 3g Iphones ver 2.1

My wife and I just bought Iphones and have crazy schedules especially now with a child. I am a fireman, union president, and work a rotating shift. She is a nurse that has self scheduling. I would like to have both of our calendars appear on both of our phones synced together but assign a color to her events that she enter and another color to the events that I enter. Is this possible and if so what is the best way to do it with the equipment I have described above?

Also when I sync the phones they update the calendar on the other phone but it does not update outlook, even though I have Itunes set to sync with outlook. Why does it not put the events entered on the phone into outlook?

Also when I enter an event into Outlook it does not put it on the phones when I sync.

any help is greatly appreciated.

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I don't know about using it with Outlook (or Windows, for that matter), but MobileMe does that.

3. bhansensfd thread starter macrumors member

So I am guessing mobile me is the only way to go for getting them into outlook, unless someone has a trick.

What about assigning colors to my events and a different color to my wifes events?

4. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

To answer your question about why stuff does not sync is because you are still using Outlook 2000 and it is not supported. This is shown in the link from previous poster.

You do have another choice. This is by using Google Calenders although it does not have the color options your looking for.

My wife and I use laptops with Outlook 2003. We both have "Google Calender Sync" installed on each laptop. This then syncs to a universal Google Account that we both use for this purpose. When entering her schedule, she uses her name and I use mine. Anything done on any calender, iPhone, Google, Outlook is automatically sync'd all day long. You can set up in Google sync how often to sync based on how often you all build schedules. Mine is every 2 hours.

Also would recommend that if you do not want to use Google, that you invest in Office 2007 and then everything will sync but until then you will probably need to use Google Contacts/Calender.

Good Luck

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

In outlook, go to the calender view. In the navigation pane is should show the small month overview with the day(s) highlighted that you are currently viewing. In the same pane should be a section called "My calenders" that probably will just say "Calender" with a check box to the right of it. These are what iTunes uses to sync multiple calenders to the iPhone. Choose the "New" drop down menu from the toolbar and select "Calender..." and title each appropriately for you and your wife.

With each calender created, select both check boxes to show both of them simultaneously. Outlook will stupidly put them side by side, but at the top should be little tabs with the name of the calender on them and arrows. Click the left arrow and the two calenders will stack into a merged view. Just make sure when you enter new appointments that you put them in the appropriate calender.

6. bhansensfd thread starter macrumors member

It does not show the above referenced material in Outlook2000. Itumes syncs our calendars but it doesnt put them into Outlook 2000. I dont understand why and cannot find the check marks you are referring to.

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

His instructions are a little off. You have to be viewing the calender (usually found in Personal folders). Now click "New" as instructed and select "Folder". A new window will open in which you can Name each folder as instructed above. Make sure that in the "Folder Contains:" that "Calender Items" is selected. You can then choose where to place the additional calender. If you select "Personal Folders" then that is where it will place in alphabetical order. If you select "Calender" then the additional calenders will become sub folders of the main calender.

My previous instructions, merge your calenders into one and by-pass your old software situation. Outlook 2000 is not supported by the iPhone/iTunes and that is why you do not see anything that you enter on each calender sycn'ing to the other.

Hope this helps...Good Luck

8. icewing macrumors 6502

can you assign different colors this way, or is that still only able to be done with MobleMe?

9. icewing macrumors 6502

It DID use a different color!

The only problem is that in Outlook I'd like to see everything at once, in the same calendar...and the events in new subcalendar that I created don't show up in the "main" calendar. Oh, well...back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the info, though! It gets me one step closer to where I want to be...