iPhone Calendar Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by meds, Apr 28, 2009.

1. meds macrumors newbie

I'm a Blackberry user but my company does NOT have Microsoft Exchange. I'm using Blackberry's BIS system.

I have a question regarding how the iPhone's calendar works.

I regularly have people send me an invitation to a meeting, which is sent to me via Microsoft Outlook. The invitations are sent to my Blackberry and, from the Blackberry, I can ACCEPT the invitation and it shows up in my Calendar.

Assuming I an NOT connected to an Exchange server, and a Microsoft Outlook user sends me a calendar invite, can I ACCEPT the invitation from the iPhone or can I only do so when I access my Microsoft Outlook from my computer?

Thanks guys.

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

No

Currently you can NOT but i think i read in the next OS update that is one thing being added? I may be wrong on that I'm not sure.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I actually believe you can, but I don't have the ability to test it out right now.

4. meds thread starter macrumors newbie

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know, when you get the time.

Thank you.

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

In it's current state, no, you can not. It must be connected to an exchange server to receive calendar invites. Not only that, even if you could receive them, you can not create them. Sucks. It's my single biggest gripe with the iPhone.

I have heard though that it might be added to the upcoming 3.0 software update. Only the beta testers might be able to confirm this.

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I can't even read the invites when they come across! I just see a ical file attachment with no way to open it. Lovely.

7. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

from what i read, if you are on an exchange you can accept invites

from what i read, 3.0 resolves a few of these problems..we'll see

8. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

has anyone got this working...or is it even possible without setting up an exchange account?

i tried sending a calendar appointment from outlook at work and all i got was an email with an ical file. with 3.0 this time though, i got an ical file which had an icon. Before it wasn't recognized on 2.0. No meeting though :(