iPhone Calendar...so close...yet so far away

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BoomKing, Jul 17, 2007.

1. BoomKing macrumors newbie

While I love so much of the iPhone, it sure seems like there are a couple of apps on it that they missed the boat on. The main one for me is the Calendar. For starters I hate that I can't easily sync with Google Calendars (correct me if I'm wrong). But the one thing that I just don't get is how when adding events you can specify a location.

For most people this would be "Joe's place" or "Conference Room A". But I like to specify addresses when I have an appointment. Unfortunately, the Calendar seems stand alone as it doesn't connect with the Maps app to allow me to find the location on the Maps app. This sucks b/c I love how I can go to a contact where I have their address filled in, select it, and BOOM Maps app showing me the location. Same with using Safari and even email. If an address is specified you can just touch it and BOOM there it is in the Maps app.

I also hate how if I specify birthdays in my contacts these don't flow through to the Calendar app. I've not had a cell phone yet that did this, but I hoped the iPhone would do this.

I hope at some point they open it up to developers so someone can take the slick look of these apps that aren't fully integrated and integrate them.

-The Boom King

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Or better yet, Apple can update the Calendar application themselves to include such functionality. You sound as if you feel the iPhone software is set in stone now. It's not.

3. BoomKing thread starter macrumors newbie

Boom

True, I just figure that there are much more pressing needs (Flash support, adding attachments/more than 1 picture in email, stability in Safari when listening to iPod), and the Calendar is probably one of the lesser used apps.

I'll still cross my fingers.

-The Boom King

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Do more than that. Let them know: iPhone Feedback Page

P.S. No need to sign your posts. Your user name is displayed just to the left of your posts.

5. Eldentistfuturo macrumors regular

They do, enable it in the calendar preference on your mac.

6. BoomKing thread starter macrumors newbie

Crap

Ahhh...I have no mac...yet.

-The Boom King

7. LuckyMan macrumors newbie

To BoomKing: Try www.nuevasync.com, set up a free account with them and you can sync your iPhone calendar with your Google Calendar via Exchange, works pretty well.

Definitely agree that the Calendar isn't what it could be, seems a no-brainer to be able to tap on the location to bring up the Maps app, hopefully they'll enable that in a future update.

8. uplyft macrumors newbie

New App Solves Calendar Location Dilemma

Just wanted you to know we've released Arrive 1.0 on the App Store. It connects your Calendar events with instant location Maps and requires no setup at all.

We'd love to hear what you think: http://arriveapp.com / http://arriveapp.com/itunes