iPhone call volume through headphone jack

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Colonel Badger, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

So i got a call through my iphone while it was hooked up to my car for the first time last night (i've only just got the phone). I was listening to the ipod when the music faded out and I heard the phone ring. I answered the phone and could hear the caller through the speakers in the car and the caller could here me. However, the volume for the caller was WAYYYY lower than my music. Why is that? I had to crank up the volume on my radio to hear them well and then quickly reduce the volume after the call finished and before the music returned (and blew my speakers !!).

Is there a way to alter the volume of phone calls through the headphone jack vs music?

mark.

2. JohnMouse macrumors newbie

iPhone call volume through headphone jack

Mark:

Did you ever figure out why this is so?

I just bought a Belkin TuneBase Direct, connected it to the car stereo via the aux in and plugged in my iPhone. Volume for music via iTunes or Pandora is just fine. But when a call comes in I can't hear the caller at all unless I turn the volume up all the way and then it is still barely audible. Called iPhone support but got no help. Pending query to Belkin support. Any assistance would be appreciated.

3. Colonel Badger thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, just increase the volume using the control on the side of the iPhone.

4. Sparkletoes macrumors newbie

The iPhone remembers what the volume setting is when you plug the cable into the headphone jack. This will be a different volume to what the phone is without the headphone cable. Try it in your car or with a pair of headphones - launch the iPod music without h'phones and look at the volume slider at the bottom of the screen. Then plug in the h'phones and watch it change.

So the best way, as I also play music and take calls in the car using its Aux Input, is to turn up the phone's volume with the lead plugged in, and that will remember the setting. As soon as you change volume and unplug, it will remember that too. So set it to what you want for the car.

You still might have to turn down your stereo after the call to avoid blowing your car's speakers and making you jump when going back to the music. It depends on how loud you like your music, how fast you're going (therefore more cabin and road noise to hear the music / call), and if your car has auto-sensing volume on speed. Even without the latter, the volume setting technique should solve, or at least help, your volume issue.

Hope this helps. Try it!