iPhone Calling Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kitng, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kitng macrumors newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have an iPhone 4 32GB that was working before but now when I call out I can't hear anyone or speak. Sometime when I call I get a crash and it reboots.
    Restored to latest firmware and it didn't help. Tested with bluetooth and wired headset and nothing works. Everything other than the calling part works.

I trying to see what can I do to fix it other than taking it to the genius bar since its out of warranty.

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

So You Can Hear

Music on the phone using headphones?

3. kitng thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes music still works with headphones. Still hear the keyboard clicks. Pretty much everything still works as normal but just the phone part is not working.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have you tried

Removing and reseating the sim? You don't say where you live, but its worth a try....Just about the only thing that springs to mind. Otherwise you may have to take it the genius bar.

5. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

you can take it in to the genious bar just to find out whats wrong with it, without having to pay. Maybe it will be something minor that they could easily do (lose cable?) doubt it but possible. Doesn't hurt to try if there is a local apple store

You can always look for a local repair once you know whats wrong with it for a cheaper repair. Just be careful with those kids on craigslist, not from personal experience but I would prefer a actual shop.

6. kitng thread starter macrumors newbie

Just came back from genius bar and they don't even know whats wrong. They say it might be some hardware problem. Too bad the warranty just expired 2 weeks ago. Thinking should I get them to replace it for $199 or wait for the next iPhone.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I used to be one of those kids on Craigslist. :p

8. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

That's a hardware fault. The Audio IC suffers from a poor quality solder on the early iPhone 4s. You're still going to be able to make calls in skype, since it won't use the noise canceling mic.

Reball your audio IC, and your phone will continue working. If you're not capable of that repair, then I'd try to get apple to take responsibility for it, since it's not really an isolated issue, and the bad solder joints existed within the warranty (but it took a while to cause issues).

9. JimBrown1 macrumors newbie

JimBrown1

Hi, I can make and receive calls but I can hardly hear the person on the other end. Even when the volume is full or on speaker it sounds like they're miles away but they can hear me. First, try restoring it. Plug it in to the computer and Click Restore When it pops up in iTunes. Please note that this will destroy all data on the phone. If that doesn't work, call apple. Try resetting the network settings.