iPhone camera artifact in light

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chumps52, Nov 6, 2016.

1. chumps52 macrumors regular

Whenever I take a photo of a light source with the back camera of my 6s, there is an annoying oval shape. This happens during the "preview" before actually taking the photo too.
    This only happens when the light source is actually in frame, and the shape moves accordingly (pictures attached).

I was wondering if this was normal, and if anyone else has had this issue? Cleaning the outside glass has no effect.

I have a Genius bar appointment booked for later, but my warranty expired just over a month ago... However as I'm in the UK would this be covered by the EU consumer laws?

Attached Files:

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is normal.

This is an internal reflection inside the lens. Not much that can be done as these lenses are so compact it is hard to stop them. In a large camera lens there are black paint baffles that help control this but even the best lenses can show these reflections under some conditions.

3. chumps52 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ok, thank you for the info :) Just wondered as I had never noticed it before and thought something had gone wrong (I always assumed the usual flare was the streaks of light, not shapes)

4. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

It's normal on iPhone. Didn't have this problem on my Samsung though.

5. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Right, the only "flare" you see on a Samsung is when it explodes.

6. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

My last Samsung was the s5 so didn't have that problem fortunately.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am betting it did, you may not have seen it but it will do the same under the same conditions.

8. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I'm afraid it didn't. Also the s6 and s7 do not exhibit this problem either. This is one of the main things I don't like about the iphones camera.

9. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I actually noticed this too when I randomly just wanted to take pictures of the sun.

10. itsray macrumors 6502

you should not take pictures of the sun, it will mess up any lens. if you want to do that you need like an ND filter or something like they use on real lenses.

11. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

How do I know if my camera wasn't damaged?

12. WiiDsmKR69 macrumors regular

WiiDsmKR69

I find this annoying on my 7+.
    It's really noticeable in low light conditions.
    I know it's not Apple's fault, and could be a limit to tiny camera technology. But it's interesting on their promo videos how there is no artifacts / flares.

13. itsray macrumors 6502

don't know. its easier to tell on dslr's/mirrorless cameras if the sensor got damaged. you can try to take a video in normal conditions and see if you notice anything weird.