iPhone camera in Home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewHUB, May 28, 2008.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Just wondering whether instead of having the camera for the 3g iPhone in the speaker section, whether it could be in the square home button. This kind of looks like an iSight already right? Has anyone thought about this?

M

2. amarcus macrumors 6502

I remember there being some speculation towards this prior to the release of the first generation iPhone. I personally can't imagine a camera being placed somewhere thats mean't to be touched and squashed on a daily basis.

Adam

3. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

yes although i think it would be weird to touch it, it could have a protective layer over it.

Plus, it would mean that any leaked photos/info to case manufacturers would not reveal any feature information. The cases leave space open for the button, and the speaker hole could be the same size. See rumour on Page 2 which has a supposed iphone v2 pic with speaker hole normal size...

M

4. zmit macrumors regular

so.... you will have fingerprints and smudges all over it....

no way in hell :)

5. neven macrumors 6502a

I used to think this as well, but the back camera gets my fingerprints and smudges all the time anyway.

6. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

:confused::confused::confused:

This is by far the stupidest idea I have ever heard for an iPhone.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

8. zmit macrumors regular

*IF* at all.... it will probably be built in to the front glass. near the sensors and stuff.
    just look at current isights. they will be able to blend the camera in very easily.

9. nabwong macrumors regular

hahahahahahaha.... Thanks for making my day. I laughed for 10 whole minutes.

10. frosse macrumors 6502a

No way there's gonna be a cam inside the home button. Two reasons why:

1. The cam would be all smudgy after fingering on the home button, it wont break of course but you wouldnt want to wipe the damn thing off every time you'd wanna take picture, right?

2. The most important one, the main reason why there's a front faced cam is of course to be able to video chat so every time you'd wanna chat with someone you'd have to hold the iphone really high since the cam is at the bottom of the phone.

Conclusion:
    No front faced cam in the home button.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's not going to be there for the same reason the iSight camera wasn't built in the space bar.

If there's a front camera, it'll be up near the earpiece. If you hold the front up to bright light, you can see little sensors at the very top of the glass. Something similar might be done, although you would still run into the problem of people's faces rubbing up against where the camera is.

12. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

13. impact_blue macrumors regular

More like glowing LED ring around the Home button to indicate a missed call/messages.

14. Niiro13 macrumors 68000