iPhone Camera is dead...Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by haddman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. haddman macrumors regular

Hi,

Has anyone had there iPhone 3g camera fail? My camera app opens but the screen is just black and the camera button will not highlight. It does register when I turn the phone from portrait to landscape, and I can hit the photo buton to take me in and out of the camera roll. I can also still take screen shots. I tried doing a restore last night with no luck. Thought I might try doing a restore and not reloading my latest back up before I take it to the Apple Store.

Has anyone had this happen or know how to fix it? Thx.

2. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

Never heard of this happening...good news is that your apple store will replace this no questions asked. Definately a product failure...

3. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

Holy crap, I can't believe I'm having a problem no one has heard off! Sweet!!:D

Thanks, I hope they do, I'm going to try and take it in today.

4. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update, I took my iPhone to the genuis bar. The guys were like oh I have seen this it is a software problem and should be fixed after a restore. I told them I already did this but they said, well, you should not have loaded a backup back to the device, you probably just brought the problem back, even though I had already tried the camera before restoring my previous backup. Anyways, after doing a full factory restore, the camera still failed, likely hardware failure. So today I have a brand new iPhone! I'm glad, as my battery life was beginning to be crap, despite, several full discharge cycles etc.

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Issues like this why post......take to Apple store.

6. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

Comments like this....why post??

I thought it might be a software problem others have been able to resolve. Sorry if I offended you and wasted your time.

7. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

if it irks you so much then don't bother reading it. That's why it's posted in the TIPS HELP & TROUBLESHOOTING forum.

Try restoring the software and then take it to the store if that doesn't fix anything :D

8. KingHuds macrumors 6502

If its a software problem, then a restore or DFU restore will fix it, if not then its hardware and the only solution is self-repair or free replacement from Apple if under warranty, its pretty simple.