iPhone camera lenses compatible with cases/covers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by peanutismint, Sep 15, 2012.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I've wanted to get a lens kit for my iPhone 4 for quite some time. I really like the look and build quality of the Olloclip, as well as other similar clip/stick-on lenses, but as I use my precious iPhone in a case I have concerns as to whether I'd be able to use accessories like this on top of my case.

I'm wondering if anyone's had a similar experience and whether you found any lenses that worked well even when using your iPhone in a case/with a cover. Part of me thinks with some of the lenses (like the ones where you have a stick-on ring that sticks over your aperture and then allows lenses to 'clip on' magnetically for instance) you'd surely be better off using them with a cheap phone case anyway and sticking the lens to the case rather than to your iPhone?

I'd be interested to hear of your experiences! :)

2. StoneKawala macrumors newbie

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

4. captainc macrumors member

What is your price range?

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I don't really have a limit in mind, but for instance an OlloClip is around £60 which in my opinion is pretty steep for what probably isn't that great quality a lens anyway....So let's say, cheaper than an OlloClip! :)

6. julesw macrumors member

julesw

7. lpena macrumors newbie

My wife uses a wallet case for her iPhone 5. Has anyone found a set of camera lenses that will fit over the leather wallet case so she doesn't have to take it out every time she wants to get a picture?

8. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I think there's very few decent quality lenses that will fit over a case.

Since I posted this thread (a long time ago!) I caved and bought an Olloclip and even though I have to take my phone out of its case to use it, it is indeed a great quality lens and very versatile. I've enjoyed using its wide-angle mode to counteract the cropping that occurs when filming video, so it's really great for that.

9. ihonda macrumors 68000

olioclip now has a case out designed for their lens.. check it out

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's difficult to design anything to accommodate every case out there given the variances in thickness, style, etc. You'd really need to find a case and lens designed to work together.