iphone camera may be different???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adrian3300, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Adrian3300 macrumors member

If you go to the apple website for the iphone and click on the link for "learn more" under the camera section, it takes you to the gps screen?? Is this a mistake on apples part( unlikely) or is there something they are hiding

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/photos.html

2. Clipse79 macrumors regular

The link is right. It takes you to the GPS because it is reffering to the Geotagging....

3. donnie3000 macrumors member

It's also a way of diverting attention away from the fact that it's still the same old 2.0 megapixel camera!

4. MojoWill macrumors 6502

who knows apple could indeed announce a better camer before the launch we still have 28 days and only what they tell us in terms of specs!

5. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It's all wishful thinking. Its not a bad thing, but I'm not expecting any thing any more. I'll just accept iPhone 3g as is. Less tears in the end that way.

6. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

Actually, not saying anything has been improved, but just because the pixel count hasn't changed doesn't mean there hasn't been improvements elsewhere with the cam,such as processing, compression algorithms, better optics etc etc, higher pixel count doesn't always equal better pics, its more how the pixels are used/processed that really counts.

7. nakile macrumors regular

As small as the camera lens is on the iPhone, I can't imagine how bad a 5MP logo would look.

8. phannon666 macrumors regular

@sassenach74

If I could recommend that post in anyway so more people would see it, I would. So many people moan because of it being only 2MP, few other people seem to understand that MP are not the only rating of camera quality. There are 3.2MP cameras out there that are better than 5.0MP and so on upwards, the Megapixels don't mean much other than the detail of the picture, and 2MP is plenty of detail for a PHONE camera, it's the processing that matters.

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

OMG FINALLY someone gets it.. Mega pixels is NOT the end all be all of digital camera. Yes, more megapixels means you get a better quality picture at a certain size.. Back 8 years ago, my husband bought the state of the art, best quality digital camera you could get. it was $1500 and guess what.. IT WAS 3 MP!!! Doesn't mean it was a bad camera.. it was a GREAT camera and it took professional quality pictures that were used commercially.

You know what you can do with a 12MP camera that you CANT do with a 3MP camera.. Blow your picture up to the size of a billboard.. thats about it. When you are talking about a basic 5x7 image for personal use, a 2MP camera with a decent system behind it can be the best camera you have.. better than your 5MP canon power shot.

now i'm not saying that at this point the iphone camera can compete with the canon power shot, but its NOT because of the mega pixels..

10. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Nah.

Why would they put up the specs on the website as 2.0 Mps and tell all the reviewers it was the same camera if it isn't true? That goes far beyond the "cool trickyness" Apple is famous for and straight into deception-land. the iPhones are already manufactured and sitting in boxes around the world as we speak also.

In many countries (not sure about the USA) that kind of false advertising is technically illegal also. A deception is a deception, regardless of whether it's effect is to underestimate or overestimate the abilities of a product, and regardless of whether anyone would take them to court over it.

11. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

improved processing

Indeed, and Apple has explicitly stated to the reviewers in the first "hands-on" that the processing has been improved "greatly."

We'll have to wait and see, but the original 2 Mp pictures already were better than my 3.5 Mp Canon Powershot camera (only a couple of years old), can do.

12. jimf123 macrumors member

Camera "explicitly" better

Virgil, thats a very interesting statement you have made. Can you shed some more light on your point that the camera is said to be explicitly better? I have to say that the iPhone camera is slightly disappointing to me (and I do take on board comments about megapixels not meaning better pictures etc...) .
    if I thought photos would be better it might be the final push I need to upgrade from my first iPhone to iPhone 3g...

13. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Take your cannon to a service. 2 mega pixel is nothing. Just take a picture from your iphone and take another from any sony ericcsson k790 k800 series. Then you will understand the difference.