iPhone camera name on PC

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by adamj575, Oct 21, 2011.

1. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

Quick question...When I plug my iphone up to my PC (i know its a mac site...lol...had to get a PC though) it launches fine in itunes and shows up as my iphone...but when the windows autoplay comes up for the camera, it shows up as my wife's iphone in windows....any idea on how to fix this?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just guessing...

What's showing under Name in Settings->General->About?

Alternately, with the phone connected, can you go to MyComputer, select the phone, then hit F2 to change the name? My iPhone showed up as "Apple iPhone" and I was able to change it.

3. adamj575 thread starter macrumors 6502

adamj575

No dice...f2 does nothing and under properties it wont let me change the name...everything is on point except for this...only the camera name under windows...quite perplexing...

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

There's something really strange if you're in MyComputer folder and can't rename an item in there. You can't right-click and select Rename?

5. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

I have a similar problem. I had an iPhone 4 before we upgraded the wife's like from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4s. She used it for about a week and since she really didn't care much for the new features and I did, we decided to swap phones. I restored my iPhone 4 backup on the iPhone 4s and restored my wife's iPhone 4s back up on the iPhone 4. On iTunes the phones show the correct names, i.e., the 4s shows up on iTunes as my iPhone and the 4 shows up as my wife's iPhone. However, it is not the same case on Windows Explorer or the bluetooth system in my car.

On Windows Explorer, my iPhone just shows up as "iPhone" without and names but my wife's iPhone shows up as my iPhone. On the car BT phone system, I have the same issue.

Anyone know how to solve this issue and get the names straightened out?

6. lukemcurley Guest

I have the same issue. iPhone shows up in Windows Explorer with my girlfriends name on it.

It appears as a Digital Camera under My Computer and I cannot change the name here.

On the iPhone it is set up as my name, everything else on the phone and under iTunes it's called my name. Just Windows Explorer shows it incorrectly.

I did a restore with iOS 5 hoping that would fix it, but didn't.

[​IMG]

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

On Windows XP I can change the name via F2 or right-click->Rename or File->Rename (with the phone selected).

Not sure about Windows 7.

8. bbchin macrumors newbie

RE: iPhone camera name on PC

Had same problem and found this thread via Google search - found working solution on Apple Support's site.

1. Go to Device Manager, find Portable Devices and click arrow to display the Apple iPhone driver. Right-click and uninstall the driver.
    2. Unplug the iPhone from the USB cable and plug it back in. Windows 7 will automatically reinstall the driver. The device name will appear as the generic Apple iPhone drive.

9. flashyman macrumors member

May It for Viruses?

10. someshmishra macrumors newbie

thanks it worked