iPhone camera not showing up on computer - anyone know how to fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by katecdc, May 31, 2010.

1. katecdc macrumors newbie

Normally when I connect my iPhone to my computer, the little screen pops up asking me what I would like to to do. I usually cancel out of it and go into My Computer some time later to transfer all my photos into folders on my computer. Lately though, the camera doesn't show up in My Computer even though the phone is recognised in iTunes.

I've Googled the problem and already tried a few different ways to get the camera to show up again. Nothing shows up under the device manager as an imaging device or camera in the Control Panel and none of the other methods I've tried have worked.

I've got a 32GB 3GS and I'm running Windows XP. I've got roughly 2000 photos on my iPhone and I've been wanting to transfer them so that I can delete them all off my phone. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it? It's driving me mad!

2. SqB macrumors 6502

So the phone is still showing up in iTunes but you can't see it on My Computer. This might sound silly, but you might want to try plugging it into a different USB port. Sometimes the computer thinks it's a whole new device when you do this so it goes back to default settings as far as what to do when connected.

Is it a personal computer or work? Seems like a silly question but my employer just implemented a change that blocks "mass storage devices" so the iPhone doesn't show up anymore. I don't have iTunes there to see if that still works.

3. katecdc thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried all available USB ports on the computer, still doesn't show up. It's my personal computer and I hadn't changed any settings on my computer or phone to explain it not working.

4. SqB macrumors 6502

5. mslee22 macrumors newbie

Possible solution

Hey guys. I recently got the iPhone4 and was having trouble with my computer detecting it so I could transfer my images. I went through all of the forums and did all of the suggestions (uninstalling and reinstalling device driver, etc.). I did it all and it still wouldn't work.

I came across a forum where someone mentioned that they had a screen lock on their phone (which I do as well) and that it might have something to do with it.

If you have a screen lock on your iPhone, have tried everything else (or have yet to try anything yet) I HAVE A SOLUTION.

1. Disconnect your iPhone from your computer.

2. Enter your passcode to unlock your phone and access the home screen.

3. Plug your phone into your computer WHILE IT IS UNLOCKED AND ON THE HOME SCREEN.

4. Your computer should automatically pick it up and either bring up a popup asking if you would like to view the contents of this mobile device or it will be listed under "My Computer" again.

I was so frustrated because I had tried EVERYTHING and then I tried this and ta-da! Worked like a charm. :D

Hope this helps!!