iPhone Camera Removal

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AndyD, Sep 25, 2009.

1. AndyD macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm wanting to use my iPhone at work where I'm not currently allowed a camera phone.

Hence the age old question of camera removal...

I have found numerous guides around the web, and a few companies in the US charging for removal.

However, will the iPhone still function without the hardware? Or will it stick at boot? I'm just wondering whether it will look for the camera on startup and therefore may knacker some other functionality.

Has anyone done the camera removal themselves?

Cheers

Andy

2. cliffboley macrumors member

cliffboley

Just paint over the lens or poke its eye out.

I'd think that would be a better solution than cracking open the case
    and mucking about it its innards.

3. AndyD thread starter macrumors newbie

Useful comments :confused:

"Poking its eye out" will also invalidate the warranty, and painting will not surfice security clearance.

Any more useful comments from people with constructive information?

Andy

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Can't say I've ever found myself in your situation, but logic suggests that if there are companies advertising camera removal services, the odds are probably good that the iPhone will continue to function post-surgery. Past that, I would have to defer to someone who's actually had the removal done for further comment.

5. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

well if you want more constructive responses don't you think you should ask a reasonable question first?!?

if your not allowed a camera phone don't bring a camera phone to work then...

as im SURE removing the camera will void the warranty .... although..... you could go to the apple store or call and ask them if they can remove the camera for you, PLEASE post what they respond

6. AndyD thread starter macrumors newbie

Explain to me why the question wasn't reasonable?

I know opening the case would void the warranty -> that wasn't a question I asked.

Apple won't remove the camera themselves after reading many old posts across the web.

I want to use my iPhone at work as its my only phone currently. Hence I'm willing to remove the camera to enable this, hence my query.

7. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Will a iPod Touch's backplate will the iPhone? If yes, you can just replace it, covering the camera..just a thought..