iPhone camera trouble (weird texture effect)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cantim, Dec 12, 2009.

1. cantim macrumors newbie

Hey, i got a used iPhone 2g from a friend and i can only seem to take pictures with this kind of.. grainy texture? Is there anyway to get rid of this?

much thanks!

Attached Files:

2. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I have never seen this before. The camera could be faulty. Try and restore the phone in iTunes.

3. cantim thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I tried reformatting it and still the same problem =/

4. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I think you've been eating too many Oreo's, the picture looks fine to me!
    Just kidding.

It could be the camera module itself within the phone. Is it a major problem if the camera is like that? You can probably have it repaired but in all honesty I wouldn't bother if you don't use the camera much. Looks kind of cool don't you think?

5. cantim thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea it is pretty cool, but it hinders the capability of apps like RedLaser. Meh I can live with it I guess.

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Find a local repair shop that does iPhone repairs and get a quote for replacing the camera module. It is a straight swap, they literally just plug into a connector on the main board and that's it.

If possible, have them do it while you're there and try a new one in it to see if it fixes the problem. If not, you clearly won't need the new camera module.
    I'd do this myself but I don't know where you are. I've done this before with various other parts where someone brought in a device and I hooked up a new digitizer or LCD just to verify that was the problem so they weren't getting ripped off.

Good luck