iPhone can be hacked by others!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Europe calling, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

2. lordgaino macrumors member

he has the iphone plugged into the dock attached to his computer!!! What kind of hack is that.

If i give my iphone to someone, then they can read my texts and check out my browsing history just by using the device - why does he need to go through this complicated 'hacking' exercise to achieve the same!!!

3. metoo6000 macrumors regular

He did not plugged. As a hacking example, he made a mouse-trap website and demonstrated a hacking process *if* someone visit that site from iPhone.
    He did not mentioned the firmware version of iPhone he demonstrated, so I am not sure that exploit is still available to 1.1.2 or not.

If you feel you are not safe, then just do not visit unknown web sites using your iPhone.

4. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

This was fixed by 1.1.2 and was never actually used properly out in the wild.

I mean really, what would be the point anyway?

5. deathshrub macrumors 6502

6. Tsuius macrumors regular

The exploit is called: safari_libtiff and the guy used safari to access a web site on the iPhone to get started. I would say that it uses the tiff problem that was fixed in 1.1.2.

7. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

8. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

pretty scary for anyone who installed ssh on their pre-1.1.2 iphone who browses to a hacker url. dude is pale.

9. hidehide macrumors 6502

Well.. he is using SSH.. but if the hacker doesnt know the password.. he couldnt do all those stuff...
    Its only for idiots who installed SSH but doesnt change the password...

10. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I dont think this hack was meant to say they could break into other peoples iphone. You could, for instance , install that voice recorder then walk into a room with your iphone and record conversations without peoples knowlage.

11. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Make him wear a purple hood and you have SKELETOR!
    Joking aside though, that was very informative, even if it has been addressed with firmware 1.1.2.

12. Archie- macrumors regular

I'm glad this is fixed, else some-one could post the magic picture in this forum, and anyone reading the forum on an iPhone could get infected with a trojan.

I hope there is not a pile of further holes waiting to be uncovered.