iPhone can now be paired w/ Computer over BT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PatrickRolfsen, Oct 15, 2007.

1. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

I was reading this article from appleinsider.com about the new wireless keyboard and towards the end it mentions how "iPhone can now be paired with a computer over bluetooth, but unfortunately still lacks the ability to be paired with the bluetooth keyboard."

Does anyone know anything about this.... as far as I knew and had tried, even with the 1.1.1 update there was no way to do this besides somehow hacking software....:confused::confused:

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

You've always been able to pair an iPhone with a computer but even in 1.1.1 there's nothing productive to be gained from the pairing. The iPhone doesn't broadcast any capabilities for pairing other than headset use.

3. PatrickRolfsen thread starter macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

huh.... I've never even been able to have my computer recognise my phone

4. calvy macrumors 65816

Mine pairs with my Macbook Pro, but as said, there's no reason to. It doesn't have any functions available.

5. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Interesting how my Treo 700 did this. I was able to Sync, transfer files, and use it as a wireless modem, yet with the iPhone I cant do anything? I wonder if Apple will ever get with the times and add this common functionality to the phone?

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

i wish the iphone had real bluetooth capabilities. Thats the one thing I kiss from everyother phone that I have had (besides my first one which was before the blueooth era.)

7. PatrickRolfsen thread starter macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

Thats exactly what i was excited about was bluetooth syncing... surely it's not that hard to add that in.... perhaps after Leopard launches;)

8. alljunks macrumors regular

i seen someone pair with the cell phone and use the data plan to go online VIA MBP...is this possible with iphone??

9. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Hopefully once they make it usable to use the iPhone bluetooth with the computer in order to use the EDGE network on a laptop, than someone will also make Linux compatible with that. It would be really cool to take my laptop anywhere and do irc chat using the EDGE network. Still no IRC on the iPhone that I know of.

10. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Sadly, no. That's the one thing I really miss now that I've started using an iPhone. I used to do this all the time with my old Nokia.

11. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I do not think it will happen for the iPhone.

With my old phone, I could pair, update contacts and such, and transfer photos and RINGTONES through BT. See the problem there? SJ looses a buck a ringtone if all the pairings aren't run through iTunes. iTunes is the iPhone traffic cop, and all sync have to be run through that.

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

this was possible at one time for the iPhone. However, even if it isstill possible to do, it is not for the faint of heart I dont think.