iPhone can now replace your laptop as a word processor on the go

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JayLenochiniMac, Jun 18, 2009.

1. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Everyone knows that a major limitation of word processing apps like Quickoffice and DocsToGo is the inability to import email attachments to the app on the device itself. There's now a workaround, at least until Apple comes out with "Documents" central file storage on the iPhone if they ever do such a thing.

1. Forward email with attachment to Readdledocs and it'll save to the device in the Readdledocs app (Version 1.5)
    2. In Readdledocs, upload to iDisk (MobileMe)
    3. In Quickoffice, download from iDisk and you can now do some editing and email back to the recipient

Quickoffice will come out with a free update that allows you to access iPhone email attachments and forward to Quickoffice for editing, making Readdledocs and MobileMe completely redundant.

Now you can leave your macbook at home if your colleague asks you do some quick editing while away on a trip, etc.

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

Of course you'll have to sign up for MobileMe for 99 dollars per year....

3. Toadkillerdog macrumors member

Dude, he just said Quickoffice update coming soon will render MobileMe unnecessary.

4. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Just buy a new Mac then it is only $69 for MobileMe, then go buy the new iPhone and get Documents to Go.

Mobile Office Complete:rolleyes:

5. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

MM can be had for significantly cheaper than $99 if purchased elsewhere, so no need to buy a new Mac. Documents To Go is v. 1.0 right now and doesn't have iDisk support, but I imagine it'll be added in the future. Dataviz said they have a lot more to add.

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

It's a nice thought, but personally I find anything other than very basic text to be an exercise in frustration on the iphone.

I type 90 WPM on a real keyboard so tapping stuff out two fingers at a time just doesn't cut it.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

Don't you need MobileMe for iDisk?

8. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Yes, but as I said in my OP, Quickoffice will come out with an update that works like Readdledocs, allowing you to forward email attachments to the Quickoffice app itself, so you won't need either Readdledocs or iDisk.