iPhone can support MMS in the UK - really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doug.hall, Oct 23, 2008.

1. doug.hall macrumors regular

I have just had a call from a mate with a iPhone 3G and he told me that if I phone o2 and tell them that i use my SIM in another handset they will switch MMS on. o2 then send some setting to the phone which I need to accept and then, hey presto, I can send and receive MMS picture messages on the iPhone without the need to go to the MMS website to view images.

I've just requested the update and should get the text containing the setting in a few hours. So I don't know if this works yet but my mate said it is working for him.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No. It doesn't "support" MMS but if you are into all that website nonsense then yeah, you can do that. Good luck though, especially when you're trying to get an MMS over GPRS.

3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Doubtful - the software needs to exist to make MMS in the first place, which the iPhone simply doesn't have. And I've no idea where a received MMS would go if your friend was correct - not to the SMS app, and not to the email app.

I'm 99.9% sure he's dead wrong.

T'would be nice if he was right though!

4. doug.hall thread starter macrumors regular

I've just sent this topic link and told him to reply. However he told me he has done it and it is working on his UK iphone at the moment.

Let's see what he says...

5. iMacoo7 macrumors 6502

iMacoo7

Easier way is you can sign this MMS petition and get your friends in the UK to sign it as well as others:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/IPMMS/petition.html

6. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

I think your friend will never treat you with any respect after believing in something so incredibly stupid...

7. Stepper macrumors regular

What the OP has said is true....but you iPhone needs to be jailbroken and have a MMS app installed (cant remember the name since I don't care about MMS)

8. afd macrumors 6502a

I use http://www.iphonemms.net/ as I still get sent a few picture messages, you need to make a donation for it to work, but have found it worth it.

9. afd macrumors 6502a

What type of phone did you request the settings for?

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

SwirlyMMS.

I am on 02 in the UK and have MMS working on my phone by using SwirlyMMS

I get my MMS when on GPRS just fine.

11. afd macrumors 6502a

As do the majority of mobile users do too..

12. Aurial macrumors 6502

MMS was designed for GPRS. It's not a 3G service, it's a 2.5G.

13. citrate macrumors 6502

This will just enable MMS on the iPhone 3G contract, and not the phone itself. You cannot recieve MMS Messages on the iPhone without it being jailbroken.

If you do enable MMS on the contract I have a feeling that you won't recieve the usual notifications that you get on the iPhone, as the contract will believe that your phone is able to recieve MMS messages.