iPhone Canadians? How much?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D ROCK, Aug 1, 2008.

1. D ROCK macrumors regular

I am just curious out of our Canadian users especially...
    1) How much is your bill per month? -actual billing numbers please not just what they quoted you at the store...
    2) How many megs or Gigs do you ACTUALLY use per month?

I am getting an iPhone soon but need to get rid of my crackberry.. I would like to know what regular people are finding is enough or too much as far as the plans go.
    Will I need to get the 6 gig package?
    I use less than 10 meg now on my pearl but could forsee using alot more on the iPhone.
    Also a bit about what you mainly use it for would help me compare our needs and usages
    thanks in advance.

2. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Well My package is:
    Voice My5 250 minutes anytime, Unlimited evenings and weekends,250 text, 5 numbers unlimited calling anywhere in Canada and unlimited text messaging $35.00

Data 6 GB (this is overkill for most but you cna't beat the price and peace of mind) $30.00 (Most iPhone users (Gen 1) used less than 400Mb/month)

Value Pack 2500 text, visual voice mail, who called ect $15.00

Fees $6.95 SAF, $0.50 911

As its only been available for three weeks no one will have their first full months bill yet.

So mine is $87.45 less my 10% VIP discount comes to $78.70/month. Thats exactly what my first prorated bill was.

Don't know where you are but I've found the 3G network to be very good in the Guelph/KW area and Toronto so far, it was really good in Calgary getting great speeds usually over 2000Mbps. The Edge speeds have been decent too.

I've gotten decent battery life too. Overall I'm a very happy camper.

The only minor problem is a lag when you bring up the contacts until when you can use them, I'm sure that will be fixed in a future software update.

I use it to check email, surf the web mainly forums, blogs, news , stocks, weather. Movies on the plane, music, a little bit of gaming. Used the GPS too. Use it for calls, and lots of SMS. Since July 11 I've used just over 400Mb. One of my favorite things is looking up something on the web then just clicking on the phone number in the web and calling the number.

3. profetto macrumors regular

Voice - $23 + 7 SAF (Corp. plan)

Data - $30 for 6 gigs

To be honest, the 6 gigs is overkill, I could be happy with anywhere from 500 megs to 1 gig max. Thing is, 300 megs is usually $30 at Rogers, and since they have promo right now ($30 for 6 gigs), I thought hell, why not, basically unlimited data.

Something like 10 megs wouldn't suffice, I'd say minimum would be 300 megs, and for that price right now, you mine as well get the 6 gigs.

4. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

$25 voice plan, $30 for 6GB of data, $15 value pack (1500 text, v.voice mail, etc)
    + $6.95 system access fee, $0.90 911 fee, +tax = $87 a month

but I had to pay some extra fees, and Rogers charged me $10 extra (but I got that fixed ;)) so my first bill was around $90
    , I got the 6GB of data, and I only used like 150MB! but once school starts, I will probably use a bit more.

BUT! I would get the 6GB of data if I were you, The cheapest iPhone made plans is: $60, but if you are a texter, you would need to add on the $15 value pack.. soo 60+15+6.95+0.90+TAX= $93 a month.

6GB+VALUE+TALK= $87 SH*T DATA+VALUE= $93 which makes more sense?
    (But the $25 talk plan is limited, but if that is not a problem, then go with the 6GB data+etc.) +fido has a $20 voice plan

sorry for this being confusing, and long.. hope you can understand it, and hope it helps. pce :apple:

5. slimjim247 macrumors member

slimjim247

$30 iPhone voice and data plan (they messed up my contract and now they have to live with it:))

$20 Value Pack

$6.95 activation charge

$0.50 911 Access

$57.45 Pre-Tax

As far as data usage, I have wi-fi at home work and school so, so far i have only used 40 mb since Jul. 11

6. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

If your plan is wrong you don't have to live with it, you can change it. Besides they go over the contract with you, so if your getting billed for something that you didn't order get it changed now.

7. slimjim247 macrumors member

slimjim247

No they put $30 instead of $60

8. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

My plan as quoted (Rogers Vancouver):

$20 - Voice
    $30 - Data/6gig
    $8 - Visual Voicemail
    $5 - 500 text messages

$63 Total

I haven't received the phone yet (should in the next few days), so, haven't received a bill yet.

What does the Value Pack include? I wasn't told about that when placing the order over the phone.

9. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

$15 Value pack
    Call Display
    Who called
    2500 text messages
    caller ring trax
    2500 call forwarding minutes

$25 Value Pack
    Call Display
    Who called
    10000 text messages
    caller ring trax
    2500 call forwarding minutes
    6pm early evening calling

10. D ROCK thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx all!
    I appreciate the info.
    I am also curious if anyone has any good ideas as to why the deadline in Canada for the special DATA package offered by Rogers and Fido?
    What will happen after that deadline?
    ie Should I be buying now? or will it be offered again?
    I doubt anyone will know for certain but I was hoping someone would have a little insider knowledge here?

thanks again!

11. mBox macrumors 68020

Rogers still sucks :p

Current Status Unknown, but it should be:

$10 250min
    $30 6GB Data (big time waste of money)
    $15 VV+2500 text (probably the only good thing about this deal)
    and the bs fees for 6.95 and .50 plus tax
    should total to = $69.95

However, just got the bill and they failed to make any sense (I knew this was coming) whatsoever on explaining it all. Oh I get the whole deal with signing-up at a certain time then having to make up for prior service and of course paying a month ahead but even after a few emails with them, they still wont fess up that their sales staff screwed up.
    First sales person was nice and concise which basically sold me the phone.
    Second sales person (I had to call back to reg my SIM) tried to scam me that my 250min plan was $27, then after exercising the "recorded during this session" she finally broke down and told me that it was $10 for a year then should be $17 for the final two years. Both sales also noted that I would get a $50 rebate on the phone.
    Well according to the email robot Im dealing with, I dont get that rebate due to the low 250min option. Only $30 options get that.
    If I walked into a car dealer and two sales persons told me that the price of the car I want is $275 then Im driving out of that lot for that price. The email robot twice informed me that I was mis-informed.
    Waiting for the next email to make my move :p
    Its the principle. I will gladly cancel this service. I went without an iPhone for a year and I can go on again for another.
    To be honest where I am, 3G is basically slow as molasses and most of the time non-existent.
    Ive been using the iNetwork Test here and Im getting the worse speeds ever.
    In Vancouver I was at least getting solid decent speeds.
    Plus coverage in this Province of Manitoba is mostly dead for Rogers :p
    I love this phone but I can do without the nickel and dimming from Rogers crappy service.

12. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I paid $400 before taxes for my 16GB iPhone back in July.

My plan is $75/month after taxes and includes:
    250 daytime minutes with unlimited evenings after 6 and unlimited weekends
    Unlimited text messaging
    1000 Canadian Long Distance minutes
    6GB Data
    Value package with call display, voicemail, Who Called and something else

I wish I was paying a bit less.. but you can't always get what you want!

13. iblastoff macrumors 6502

with rogers:

$17.50 EPP plan - 200 minutes / unlimited evening / weekend starting at 6pm
    $30 / 6 gb data plan
    $15 iphone VVM pack
    ------
    $62.50 + saf $6.95 + 911 $.50 + tax
    -15% bundle discount