Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honest Truth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I've been having issues with my iphone and wifi networks lately. Some of them worked, and some of them didn't. I couldn't figure out why. My very own wasn't working.

But then I figured out what they all had in common. WEP security. I don't understand why this won't work...? Is anyone else having these problems?

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
Mine runs great on my WEP network. I even had to change the bit settings from 64 to 128 due to the Airport Express inability to run on the 64bit network and had no problems with the iPhone at any time.

iSip

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
CLT, NC
no problems here either - and i even have an old skool linksys wireless b router that hasn't had a firmware upgrade in who knows how long........

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I've been having issues with my iphone and wifi networks lately. Some of them worked, and some of them didn't. I couldn't figure out why. My very own wasn't working.

But then I figured out what they all had in common. WEP security. I don't understand why this won't work...? Is anyone else having these problems?

Just to take it back a step so to clarify (since everyone else here made assumptions that you knew what WEP security was) are you saying that you can't get on a WEP network even when putting in the correct password, or do you not realize that WEP requires a password?

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
Just to take it back a step so to clarify (since everyone else here made assumptions that you knew what WEP security was) are you saying that you can't get on a WEP network even when putting in the correct password, or do you not realize that WEP requires a password?

i was about to say/ask the same exact thing

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I'm using an iPod Touch (I think it's nearly the same?) and it connects to my WEP fine. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (lol what a mouthful), if that makes any difference.

Like others have said, open networks will be joined automatically, but for WEP/WPA networks you must enter a password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.