iPhone Cannot Connect to WEP Secured Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Honest Truth, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Honest Truth macrumors member

I've been having issues with my iphone and wifi networks lately. Some of them worked, and some of them didn't. I couldn't figure out why. My very own wasn't working.

But then I figured out what they all had in common. WEP security. I don't understand why this won't work...? Is anyone else having these problems?

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I'm using a WPA2 and it's fine.

Is WEP your only option?

3. David2070 macrumors member

I don't think there are any problems with WEP. Mine connects fine to my WEP network.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, but my WEP at home is working quite well as always. You might want to check with your ISP and get them to walk you through it. That's what I did in the very beginning...:(

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I had lots of problems with WEP. Switched to WPA2 and everything is peachy. Also, try updating your router to the latest firmware.

6. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Mine runs great on my WEP network. I even had to change the bit settings from 64 to 128 due to the Airport Express inability to run on the 64bit network and had no problems with the iPhone at any time.

7. iSip macrumors newbie

no problems here either - and i even have an old skool linksys wireless b router that hasn't had a firmware upgrade in who knows how long........

8. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

Just to take it back a step so to clarify (since everyone else here made assumptions that you knew what WEP security was) are you saying that you can't get on a WEP network even when putting in the correct password, or do you not realize that WEP requires a password?

9. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

i was about to say/ask the same exact thing

10. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

heh, I used to work tech support so I learned quickly to never assume that people actually know what they are doing... like your sig by the way.

11. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'm using an iPod Touch (I think it's nearly the same?) and it connects to my WEP fine. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (lol what a mouthful), if that makes any difference.

Like others have said, open networks will be joined automatically, but for WEP/WPA networks you must enter a password.