iPhone cannot find/connect to my home connection.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by F1R3L4NC3, Feb 8, 2011.

1. F1R3L4NC3 macrumors newbie

I need an expert with this. Please just PM me if you have further questions. So I just got my iPhone 3GS after my last one got stolen. My brother, mom, dad also have iPhones. I CANNOT connect to my home connection. By this I mean it doesn't even find the network for me. My family can. It doesn't even show up when I look for a connection. Can this possibly be a problem with the phone, or the connection? I have a NETGEAR RangeMax WPN824v2.

-I DO have my WiFi turned on to ON.

-If there is a solution, please try to explain carefully to me. I am neither experienced in the iPhone or computers.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Try resetting your network settings. Tap settings, General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. then go to Settings>wifi and see if it can find your network.

3. F1R3L4NC3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that and nothing. When I go to my basement, where my dad's router is, that's the only place it picks up. Could it just possibly be weak signal? But then again my brother has full WiFi bars upstairs....

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Does your brother also have an iPhone?

5. F1R3L4NC3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes he has an iPhone 3GS like me.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sounds like you may have a hardware problem. Are you running the latest firmware? Have you tried a "restore as new"?

7. gameface macrumors 6502

I was at the Apple store the other day and my phone couldn't see the wireless but my ipad had full bars. I shut down the phone and restarted it and it immediately picked up the signal.

8. svenn macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue to this before. I came home and iphone could not connect to my home wifi. It did not even show up under available networks. Restarted phone and everything connected perfectly :confused: I can't explain it, but I'm happy that's all it took.

9. F1R3L4NC3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sir. I have to say that helped a little bit. I get one bar every now and then but the problem is still not fixed. Any more solutions?

10. F1R3L4NC3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could it possibly be something with my router, or the DNS servers. I recently changed them to match Google's?

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Did you change the DNS servers in the router? Isn't your brothers phone using the same router?

12. F1R3L4NC3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I did change the DNS servers in the router. And yes, my brother is using the same router as me. I am still confused on what the problem is.

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If your brothers phone is using the same router, and you "Reset Network Settings", did a "restore as new", and are running the latest firmware, have tried your phone on a different wifi network, and the problem still persists on your phone only, then I would say that it is a hardware problem.