Iphone capacity now only 300mb?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by decadentdave, Nov 2, 2007.

1. decadentdave macrumors 6502

My iphone has been working fine then suddenly a few days ago, for no apparent reason, all of my movies and songs vanished and when I go to the About page it says the capacity is only 300mb and I have 103 mb remaining. I haven't synced my iphone in weeks and now when I try to sync it gives me an error saying I do not have enough space. I'm running firmware 1.0.2 unshackled so I'm afraid to do a restore to firmware 1.1.1 because when I click on restore it says it must do an update and restore. I don't want 1.1.1 firmware, especially if it will brick my phone.

2. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

I'm not sure why it does this (I'm sooooo technology ignorant, but I'm trying), but this has happened to me a few times, and I went to my photos file on my computer and deleted a file called 'Ipod Cache.' Once that was deleted, I had plenty of room.

What does the status bar show when you have it linked to iTunes? When mine was filled w/ the photo cache, it was an orange bar, signifying 'other.'

Good luck.

-Anthony

3. decadentdave thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, my status bar is orange and says Other. Where is this photos file located?
    If I restore 1.1.1 with unshacked 1.0.2 firmare will it brick my phone?

4. zerrrox22 macrumors newbie

ok this pretty much isnt that hard to fix as long as you have access to another laptop or PC with iTunes installed. This has happened to me before and all I did was I took the iPhone and let it sync with my other itunes library, and that gave me the full 8 GB (or so) free since it deleted the library. Then I switched back to my normal PC, and let it sync with the music I actually wanted on there :) Hope this helps

5. decadentdave thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up having to upgrade to 1.1.1 (little scary as it took a few tries after telling me it couldn't restore) and then downgrading back to 1.0.2 firmware so I could unshackle and install the installer.app. Now it tells me to upgrade back to 1.1.1 to run the latest version of installer??? Anyway, I got my 8 gig capacity restored and synced my media so I'm good for now.

6. paramsaluja macrumors newbie

iphone shows not enough space

The iphone shows 2360mb free on /Var and 0MB of 300Mb free ON /.
    Wats the 300 MB???

7. joechristo macrumors newbie

2.87 GIGS of other ?!?

Mine is 2.87 gigs
    I have some of my photos on there but this is ridonculous!!

I took them off and it still had 2.87GIGS

whudupwidis??

8. Ondrej macrumors newbie

In progress!

Hi, I've tried to resolve this problem for a week or so and didn't want to restore.
    Now I use Erase all Content and Settings in Settings. It takes incredible time, like an hour or two, but when you repeatedly connect the iPhone to iTunes during the process, it starts to sync and I can see the orange bar shortens each time. Now I got from 12GB of the orange Other bar to less than 6GB. It works but damned slow. Very slow - it appears to stop at the 5.67GB mark. I can live with 9GB free but this is not what I bought, is it...

Nothing else did work for me - all iTunes sync methods, erasing iTunes_Control folders and various files from iPhones, even the iPodCache folder from my Mac. The bloody orange bar was still there and only few giga space free. Now it is disappearing.
    And the phone even works during erasing, you only can't see the caller's name since the contacts are erased but it works.

Don't ask me how this happened and why does it take so long to erase 12GB. I guess it is a pretty bug in there.

9. myystiqueen macrumors newbie

im not sure if i'm quite a help or not..

but... i believe 300MB is an additional or secondary partition of the iphone.. while the rest of the memories are the main partitions..

all installed applications, ringtones and fonts go right into the additional partition... i've got bosstool installed so that's why i know this at the first place.. but i'm not sure if this is the answer to your question at all....

10. hycranian macrumors newbie

6 GB Orange "Other"

I just synched my iphone today. It shows 6 GB Orange and would only download half my music. I still can't figure out how to get rid of the orange. I have 10 photos and two music videos - no ringtones or podcasts or movies. Very upsetting

11. waleshark macrumors newbie

Other Capacity 4.69GB??

I updated my iphone to software version 2.0 yesterday. Now the Other capacity (orange bar) is up to 4.69 GB, taking over half of my 8GB storage. I can't put back on what I used to have plenty of room for. How do I get my space back?

12. ghugo macrumors newbie

ghugo

Orange bar more then doubled

I am glad to hear that other people are having this issue. Is there any way to get the space back. The only thing I added was a couple of small apps. This is only since the 2.0 upgrade.

13. ghugo macrumors newbie

ghugo

capacity back to normal

I did a restore from my itunes. Now my "other" orange secton is back to normal. Thanks for the suggestion.:D

14. waleshark macrumors newbie

Fixed

I did the same thing. I reset my phone and suddenly I have the space I had before. I don't understand what the orange 'other' signifies, but the reset works, so I am happy.

15. syberne1 macrumors newbie

iPhone capacity for other (Orange) size is excessive

I had this problem with a 8GB iPhone 3G where 'other' space was 5.52GB. Having read through these forums, I checked the size of my Podcast folder and by chance, it was 5.52 GB, or the same size. The space matching like this indicates that this could be the issue. I tried to restore my iPhone several times but this condition reappeared.
    SOLUTION
    I aggressively cleared old podcasts and deleted un-downloaded podcasts. I unsubscribed to several podcasts, as well. This dropped the 'other' capacity to less than 1/2 GB currently and I am still working on additional cleanup too complete clear this space. I have resumed with new podcast downloading.
    :)
    How I may have aquired this condition? :mad:
    My sync laptop disk reached a very low capacity at about 1 GB space remaining. This can be a risk to some application and cause problems.
    Also, I was adding lots of new podcasts and download previous versions to where this was most of my 8GB storage having had this iPhone since July, 2008.
    Stan

16. dancingbrook macrumors newbie

dancingbrook