iPhone Car Adaptors - Using Controls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scuby, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Scuby macrumors regular

Hi,

I've got an iPod adapter in my car, which charges the iPod, passes sound through to the in-car speakers, and allows me to control it from the steering wheel controls. With the iPod, as soon as it's connected it tells me that it's connected to an accessory, and I can't use any of the iPod's own controls - effectively it just locks itself, only allowing control via the car. The adapter is also apparently compatible with an iPhone, but I don't have one to try.

I'm considering getting myself the new iPhone, but wondering if that will have the same problem? Or is there a way with the iPhone to disable the ability of accessories to "lock" the controls? I'd ideally like to use an iPhone in the car along with TomTom software, but if I can't do that while connected to the adapter (ie if it won't let me do anything TomTom is going to be useless) then it's not a lot of use to me.

So, does anyone know how the iPhone treats accessories?

Cheers,

David

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You're going to have the same issue with your iPhone. It does the same thing in my Mazda 6. I don't know of any way to disable it, but I do know that there are adapters out there that advertise being able to use the iPhone completely while it is docked, somehow not triggering the lockout of iPod controls.