iPhone car charger/line out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joony, May 16, 2008.

1. Joony macrumors regular

(I've done searches on it without much results, so sorry if a repost!)

Anyhow, why is there still no 3rd party car charger+line out solution?

Can't a ghetto one be made with the included dock, ie line out of dock > aux in car + dock port > iPhone sync cable > USB car charger?

And with that, can't that be miniaturized into a small compact solution, without the 'iPhone accessory warning' coming up?

(BTW, this is for a 08 Mazda3)

2. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

3. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I'm dissapointe because I have a Pioneer stereo that is iPod ready, you know the ones where you control the ipod through the head unit.

Anyways, it stinks because when you get a call and the iphone is plugged into the stereo theoretically the sound of the call should come through the speakers but it doesn't.

If anyone has a solution I'd like to hear it.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Apple changed access to the dock connector when it came to the iPhone. Even back when the SDK was officially rolled out it was announced that it is restricted from programming for peripheral devices through the dock connector.

5. Joony thread starter macrumors regular

6. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Why don't you just invest a head unit that controls your ipod as well. It's pricey but once you use it you will never look back. Like I said mine works great with my iphone except when getting calls.

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Maybe I misunderstood the question but......

I have this set-up in my 2008 Mini Cooper:
    1. Store-bought iPhone car-charger
    2. Belkin iPhone headset extender (includes a microphone)
    3. Male-to-male minijack connector from Belkin into my stereo's aux connector.

This works great, including that when a call comes in it mutes the iPod and puts the call on the car speakers, and the Belkin widget picks up my voice well enough, so that it's a hands-free car kit for about $40 (but £20 because i'm in the UK :)

OK if I'm listening to the radio I have to switch to the aux input but nothing's perfect !!