iPhone car charger with 1/8" audio out on the dock connector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PecanEater, Oct 22, 2008.

1. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Does anyone know of a iPhone car charger with 1/8" (3.5mm) audio out on the dock connector (not on the 12v plug)? Something like this:

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

yes, this exact item exists, just as you have drawn it, can't remember what it's called though sorry...

3. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Thanks?

4. islandracer macrumors newbie

5. neil1255 macrumors newbie

What would be the use, since you already have the headphone jack?
    I ask since I have access to a cable co who might make one for you.

6. phapn macrumors newbie

I know this isnt fully what you've described.

Have you looked at the Kensington LiquidAux.
    [​IMG]

The Audio Out line comes from the charger secion rather than the 30pin. However the data comes from the 30pin if you know what I mean.

7. neil1255 macrumors newbie

I understand. but Apple doesn't recommend it because of noise and I have the Belkin to use with my iPhone and there is a horrible static when using the charges in my car and listening to the ipod.

8. phapn macrumors newbie

I'm not too sure why you say apple doesnt recommend the Kensington equipment.

It is sold on the apple website and apple store. It also contains the "Made for iPod/iPhone" logos.

When I have tested this kit it worked well. The deluxe version of the kit I found to have a very weak mount however the normal edition(without mount) worked well.

The steering wheel control was limited in use however.

9. neil1255 macrumors newbie

I didn't say that Apple doesn't recommend Kensington Equipment, I said they warn of static when using the iPod and a charger at the same time.

10. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

This is related to the car grounding, not the charger actually.

But just out of curiosity - would a charger like that kensington with a line level out have better sound quality than using another charger and a headphone out?

And sorry to hijack but does the original iPhone 2G require 1000mA in full usage just like the 3G? Because this belkin provides a full 1A on the quick charge port.

11. neil1255 macrumors newbie

Noise from a charger could be related to any number of things including poor shielding on the charger as well as a non-regulated power supply.
    As far as needing 1000MA, I would guess no, since there is a Griffin double dock advertised on the Apple site that sends 500Ma to each dock.

12. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

I didn't mean to say "need" but I heard that on the iPhone 3G - if you use a 500mA charger and the phone is being used fully - the charger will not be able to "keep up" with the phone's power needs, so the charge will decrease in the battery.

Does anybody know if the same happens with the 2G?

13. neil1255 macrumors newbie

I can tell you from working with electronics that no phone or PDA needs 1 amp (1000ma) while operating.
    That is a huge drain. The power supply may me that high for the initial quick charge but the phone will then back off the draw.
    Adapter Ma ratings are the maximum the adapter can supply. The unit it is plugged into decides how much it uses.
    i.e. A radio may need (9 volts and 250ma, but a 9volt 1000ma adapter would do no damage.