iPhone car docks?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ozzyman500, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Right now my 3G just sits there in an open space just moving and sliding around, I don't care much...however when I upgrade in less than 2 months I want to get a nice dock so I don't have that problem with my 3GS. Is there any car docks or mounts you recommend? I have a 2007 Honda Civic by the way if that helps. Thanks :)

2. jlwillia macrumors regular

I also am looking for some kind of dock that would work well when using the Navigon app. I would need something that would put it on the dash in "sight" of a satellite, obviously. Any ideas?

Please don't try to start a Navigon/TT debate about the TT's dock thing. I've read those threads already. I want to know what those of you that use the Navigon app use.

3. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

I see someone already hi-jacking my thread.

/

Back on topic with docks please.

4. Skystar macrumors 6502

LOL about the turtles!

Check out pro clip:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionp...egoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=

They have specific mounting options for different cars. I opted for a universal vent mount I found at Target, so that I can move it car to car if need be. That link above is for your 07 civic..

You get the special mount, and then get the device holder. A little expensive but to some it's worth having an integrated look. The vent mount I got was $20, and actually doesn't look that bad.

*edit* this is the Target mount:
    http://www.target.com/Bracketron-Gr...mbrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:bracketron&page=1

I will try to post a pic later today.

5. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

6. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

This one isn't bad. Its a Windshield Mount. It's from the people that has G-Map for the iPhone. The only drawback is that it won't allow you to rotate the iPhone Horizontally. It twists up/down, and side to side. Unless you unstick it from the Windshield and stick it on in the Horizontal position. Then you would be all set.
    It's $19.99 The link is: http://www.xroadgps.com/tabid/1902/ProductID/71/Default.aspx

[​IMG]

7. jacobgaul macrumors regular

becareful with this company, the part that holds my phone broke.. the arms wont unlock or go back into place and they left me high and dry.

8. Skystar macrumors 6502

I also read that if you use the adhesive pad, it does not stick well in the heat. Well most adhesives are like that in the car.

9. jlwillia macrumors regular

How is that hi-jacking your thread? It's exactly on topic. I want to know about docks in my car, but my situation is slightly different because I want it for GPS usage.

Grow up.

10. jacobgaul macrumors regular

bestbuy sells this for $19.99 or $24.99 if i recall correctly, i was just there the other day.

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

:confused:

I got a Proclip center console mount + Proclip basic non-swivel holder, wasn't too pricey, works very well for just using iPod functions, wouldn't be good for GPS in that location (in my car at least). It's very solidly mounted though, would hold in place even without using the adhesive strips (and the vent mounts just clip in I think).

Question is do you want a whole dock/mount solution or just a mount and a separate audio connector (I use a Griffin Autopilot and slid the AUX cable around the Proclip to keep the wire out of the way).

12. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

For those using the ProClip/Panavise/Bracketron vehicle-specific mounts, there is an inexpensive add-on that is, I believe, essential to use with the iPhone. It's called the Ultra Slim Swivel and allows you to rotate your phone in any direction and is perfect for switching between vertical/horizontal for GPS applications. It's inexpensive (~$7 US) and appears to be made fairly well - just received mine a couple of days ago.
    [​IMG]

13. Skystar macrumors 6502

earlier this morning this thread had another post with a bunch of turtle pictures. I guess it was in response to the OP's back to topic post. The turtle post has since been removed..

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

nothing wrong with hi-jacking

he is looking for the same info as you and is simply joining in the discussion this is welcome vs double posting and plus two heads are better then one. :D I tend to like the Griffin but they need a universal version.

15. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

If you want something beefy, look into a RAM mount. GPScity.com has all the fixn's. Rock steady in my 4x4 and boat.

16. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

i use the kensington liquidaux mount. charges your phone and has auxiliary sound.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

works fine with navigon gps app. the only problem i have with it is that i wish the gooseneck were longer but oh well. i highly doubt having your iphone 1 foot closer to your window is going to make any difference at all for gps. that picture is not my car but i also drive a 2006 honda civic :)

17. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I just got my Griffin WindowSeat delivered from Newegg!!! It's awesome!!!!!

[​IMG]

(Thats not my picture, just one I found on google, haha. But that's how it looks in my car too :p)

You can also put it on the dash board if you like (it comes with everything you need to do it).

18. xxshawnxx macrumors member

19. Niki.King macrumors newbie

I've struggled to find anything that i like to hold my iPhone in the car, i have tried a lot of mobile phone and PDA holders and nothing seems to work the way I want it to. So I've began to make my own holder using a Belkin iPod holder, [​IMG]and a mount that is a lot similar to the ones on a Garmin Nuvi Series sat nav, something like this [​IMG], it still needs quite a bit of work to make it look and function properly but i think its going to be good :D i will upload some photos later on when its starting to set.

20. jacobgaul macrumors regular

i like the griffin but u cant use a case with it :\

21. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Griffin WindowSeat

My vote goes to the Griffin WindowSeat, I just picked it up tuesday from a local store and only paid $9.99 (Beats 29.99 on Griffins site). It comes with all the pieces you could possibly need for your iPhone 3g, iPhone 2g, iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Also it comes with a plastic circle to put on your dash and to mount on your dash.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/windowseat

22. Redwood macrumors newbie

What local store did you purchase it from? Maybe that store is in my area also. I need one by tomorrow and if I can find one in my local area store I can run and get it.

23. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Marshalls or TJ Maxx hahah believe it or not. I found that they had **** for super cheap.

24. jer-78 macrumors newbie

Any mounts work with skins?

I use an iSkin because I find it gives me extra grip and protects the back. I am waiting for the TomTom kit to try out but I have a feeling I'd have to take the skin off everytime I put it in the mount. Is anyone using another mount with a skin on?

25. Wakakanada macrumors regular

I too am looking for a car holder that could work without taking off the iPhone case. Ideally that can turn horizontally for turn-by-turn GPS.

Has anyone got any recommendations, in a non-thread hijacking sort of way...
    :p