Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I want to get some sort of FM transmitter for my car and 3G iPhone, but I want a decent one. I currently have a belkin FM transmitter [few years old], it doesnt work half the time and the quality is poor. I DO NOT have a head unit in my car, so no AUX in.

My only option is an FM transmitter right?? Whats a good one with good quality for the iPhone I could/should get?? Thanks.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
iTrip worked decently for me...but then I figured why not just spend $10 more for a used head unit with aux in?

Cruzer442

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
I tried one of those Belkin automatic tuning ones, It sucked. I loaned to a friend and told her she could keep it if it worked for her. She gave it back. I use it as a back up car charger.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
yeah so is there a good one under/around 50 bucks?? or is 50 pretty dam expensive for one of these??

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
If you have a tape deck i would go through there. much cheaper and the quality will beat the most expensive transmitters.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Check out the Griffin Roadtrip. The reception is better because the cradle plugs into your cigarette lighter. I've had a few fm transmitters, this one works the best. It's costs a bit more, but you can find tons of them on ebay.

JGuez

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
I've tried maybe 4 or 5 different fm transmitters and it is really too bad that it is nearly impossible to find one that works perfectly. The best one I have used is made by Monster. I do not have the model number on me but if you google Monster fm transmitter it should pop up.

When I had an iPhone I used this transmitter and it didn't do an amazing job but for the most part it worked. The only problem is in order to choose an fm channel you need to have it plugged into an ipod because the iPhone will not recognize it. To fix that problem I just kept my old ipod mini in the car in case I accidently changed the station.

Who knows though. Maybe apple made the 3G compatible with fm transmitters.

I hope my post was somewhat helpful.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I suggest you save your money and get a new head unit with AUX in. I have used several FM transmitters in every price range and they are ALL disappointing. I have one in my boat that I paid $1.00 buck for and it works better than all of the others but its still poor.

Save up!

Moria

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
I've been using one like this successfully with my iPod for over a year now. Always worked really well, even in the middle of a busy city where there are lots of different radio stations. If you hunt around on eBay you'll be able to find one which comes with a in-car charger too which helps it a lot. Well worth a fiver. Should work perfectly with the iPhone 3G too as it just plugs into the headphone port.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
You may need to find an older one. I recall seeing an article on iLounge that the FCC had further restricted the brodcast strength these things can operate at, so the new ones aren't as powerful as the older ones.

I have a monster iPlay plus for my ipod which I hope will work with my 3g iPhone.
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-player-accessories/monster-icarplay-wireless-plus/4505-6519_7-31248005.html

If you live in an urban area with crowded bandwidth and strong signals they are almost worthless.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
FM transmitters are dangerous and sound bad. Do not get one.

This gets to be a very complex subject, but generally you would like to stay away from any fm transmitter and if you can, get attachments that use the bottom slot on the pod, rather than the headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.