iPhone car fm transmitter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LazyDaisy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. LazyDaisy macrumors newbie

There are several car chargers for the iPhone on eBay.
    Some of them have an fm transmitter also.

Does anyone have one of these? Do they work well?
    Is it worth getting? Is one brand better than another?
    This would be great to listen to my music with!

Advice please :)

thanks!

Daisy

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I used to have one back when I had my 1st Gen. It worked alright, the sound is horrible compared to an AUX jack or even a cassette adapter. FM transmitter is the last option I would consider if I was you, unless you really need it to charge and play all in one.

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I got one at WalMart for $13. and it worked the best... It broke so I got a Kenmore radio replacement for my car and it connects directly to the iPhone or iPod.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

FM transmitters....heh, I've never had good luck with one.

The biggest issue I ran into was that in the area I live there are very few open frequencies, and when traveling it's easy to encounter a once free frequency that's now occupied.

I noticed better sound quality with a cassette tape adapter than I had with the FM adapter at that!!

Depending on the car/stereo you have, and if you're willing to do some dash disassembly and wiring, you may be able to convert a CD-changer input into an aux-in for use with any 3.5mm jack device. These guys are one of the larger sellings/manufacturers of such devices.

However, if you are set on using an FM transmitter due to a lack of cassette deck/aux-in already existing/needing to rewire to add one, look for one with a digital readout where you can choose ANY frequency between 88.x and 107.9, not just one locked down to the 4 at either end.

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

A fair amount of people weighed in here.

I did too. My solution is pretty cool and works great for me. I can set the FM tuner to anything between 88-something to 107-something.

I use a high frequency. There's a radio station on 3 points over (.X), but I don't get any interference with that. Plus - since it uses that high frequency, I don't tend to get too many other people who use that station. (none so far!)

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

You probably shouldn't tell people what frequency you use, because now everyone is gonna try to use it since there is "no interference". :p

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

lol. Very true. I'll edit...

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

There, I edited my post as well since it still had your original quote in it. ;)

9. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

That looks awfully like some document that was released via Freedom of Information Act...

[​IMG]

10. brynna87 macrumors newbie

I've had a couple of these. While I'd rather be connecting via AUX, my car does not have that option and I'm not going to pay for a new stereo just to get it. I had a DLO Transpod for two years and it was wonderful. Great set-up and connected pretty great with my radio. I only got rid of it because I went from a NANO to an iphone, and the base wouldn't hold the iphone while it was in its case and I didn't feel like removing the case all the time. So now I'm using a Griffin device that doesn't have the base, but just plugs into the bottom of the phone with a cord. It seems to work pretty well, altho not as good as my DLO.