iPhone Car gooseneck/charger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chinarider, Nov 19, 2008.

1. chinarider macrumors regular

Does anyone have an iPhone car stand/charge with a gooseneck that they recommend? I am looking for one with a dock (not a cable) that I can set the iPhone in and it will charge while driving. I don't need the audio breakout as I have no aux in on my stereo. This will plug into the cig lighter in the dash.

Thanks!

2. arrow201 macrumors member

3. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

I saw that one, but I am looking for something with a dock so I can slide it in and out - Not having to deal with connecting a cable.

thanks.

4. toddngina macrumors member

I use this one:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/belkin-tunebase-fm-for-iphone-and-ipod/

Works great, just make sure you get the iphone compatible version, the non-compatible one looks exactly the same, but doesn't show an iphone on the packaging (and is not interference-free and charging compatible)

I use it with a line out to my car stereo - works awesome! It also swivels at the bracket so you can watch a video (parked of course) easily.

5. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Definately more in-line with what I was looking for Todd, thanks. Have you tried the FM on it? I've prefiously had FM transmitters and they sucked...

6. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

7. toddngina macrumors member

The FM transmitter works alright, depending on how busy the spectrum is where you are. The quality is noticeably downgraded from a direct hookup. I try to keep it hooked directly into the stereo either with a cassette adapter or a direct line-in. There is a line out jack at the bottom of the dock section, so you don't have to plug anything in to the headphone jack. But the FM does come in handy when I'm in a rental car that doesn't have a line-in jack or a cassette player.

But it keeps my setup neat and tidy, keeps my 3G charged, and is flexible to use. A little bit spendy, but I like it a lot.

8. toddngina macrumors member

Also, it's an easy single-handed operation to slide the phone in and out of the dock, no fuss. The cradle works great with the 3G. Don't want to sound like I'm a Griffen guy or anything, but I researched many dock/cradle/connector/charges before settling on this one, and am quite happy with the result.

9. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have a case or is your iPhone Naked?

Joe - that is an interesting idea as well - So a cable will connect cradle to power?