iPhone car mounts: ProClip VS TomTom holder

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mgpg89, Oct 26, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I need an iPhone 3GS car mount.

I don't care for the TomTom holder's extra GPS, because my car already has a built-in SatNav.

The one thing it really needs is a pass-through USB solution, because I can plug my iPhone into my car's USB port so I can listen to the music through the stereo.

The iPhone also charges through this USB port.

So all it comes down to: build quality.

Which one should I pick? A ProClip mount with tilt swivel & pass-through, or the TomTom holder?

Thanks in advance

2. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I own the proclip and love it, it's well made and while proclip is expensive it's still cheaper than the TomTom mount. (well it is cheaper providing you aren't adding every little option proclip offers,LOL)

3. kleinias macrumors regular

I've had my proclip (tilt-swivel) for around a year now (for 3G/3GS) and I am very pleased with it. Given the criteria you have mentioned (build quality etc), I would definitely recommend it.

4. BiggyG macrumors newbie

I've had the proclip for about a year now, with a charging cable that runs behind the dash.

I have an alpine head unit with ipod connector also, but that runs into the glove compartment to my 80GB iPod, as all my music won't fit on the iphone.

The only issue with the proclip is that it covers the iPhone's speaker and mic on the bottom. This means speakerphone doesn't work, you really need a bluetooth or handsfree option. I can generally hear other people, but can't they can't hear me.

I've also got Navigon for iPhone, and am looking at the tomtom and navigon holders because they offer enhanced GPS, which I notice to be a problem when driving in cities as the iPhone's internal GPS can sometimes put me a street over from where I actually am.

Ideally I want the Proclip because it doesn't look like a sat nav holder. The tomtom sticks to the windscreen so I would have to remove it everytime I get out of the car to put off thieves. I want something I can drop the phone in and go, and the Proclip does this fine. Now if only they'd do one with a speaker and GPS receiver and all would be well.

5. weezerr macrumors member