iPhone Car Solution New idea!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by phapn, Sep 17, 2008.

1. phapn macrumors newbie

2. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

coooool. but do we really need that fency stuff in the car??

3. phapn thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not particularly sure how you think its over fancy?
    Just to clarify, I'm from England. Over here it is illegal to drive while talking on your mobile without a handsfree.

Therefore if you want to talk in car you need a handsfree, and parrot make very good in car handsfree kits.

It does what most people want and thats play the music from the iphone and use it as a handsfree..

Unconfirmed wether it charges the 3G iphone.?

4. GraceWu macrumors newbie

It is a good product. I also get the problem in my driving to control the player. It can solve the problem. I think it also support mp3.

5. andyjsi macrumors newbie

mki9000 and iphone3g

I've just purchased and installed this kit, I spoke to parrot technical support before I ordered it and they told me that it would charge, and allow me to control the music playback...BUT so far its not charging.

As with most non gen chargers that dreaded "this iphone accessory is not supported...yada yada yada.." and it won't charge. issues with my installation are stopping me from checking the music playback at the mo, but should be able to update on this in the next few days..

i'm not impressed though as i was told it would charge, and that it works with iphone - they're using the logo(!?) but early indications are that it doesn't charge.

6. phapn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Andyjsi,

I purchased the mKi9200 version of the parrot kit, and installed it last weekend.
    I've got a iPhone 3G 16Gb white on version 2.1.

I have found this kit amazing! The screen is thin and slick. The bluetooth handsfree works very well.

When I connect the 30 pin ipod/iphone connection, the iphone starts to charge and a message pops up on screen saying "ipod accessory connected".

On the parrot mki9200 screen, it shows an iphone instead of ipod and i can fully scroll and play my music from the iphone.

Still yet to test the usb playback and SD Card.

Will upload photos and do more of a review when I've had more of a play.

Yes the box contains the Works with iphone logo. It's worked for mine.

I wonder if either your brain(the bluebox) or the cable is dodgy. Have you tried with another iphone or ipod? Does the auxillary in or usb work??

Also the first time I put the cable in was in the dark and I put it into the iphone upside down(with the logo pointing downwards) and that didnt work but fitted.

Let us know how you get on. I've found it a great product! Sorry to hear you've been having bad luck.

7. andyjsi macrumors newbie

Hi Phapn,

Sounds like yours is working how I want mine to! I had an issue with the installation, as my stereo isn't an ISO one, I had to use an ISO converter, and the one I was sent had a connection missing, so I'm really hoping this is the cause of my problems.

New cable should be here today or tomorrow so will try it again then.

My iphone is running 2.2, so I don't know if that will be making a difference too?

I'll post again once the lead arrives!

Andy

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Firmware does make a difference with regards to iPhone accessories/gadgets, yours I assume is one of the seeds for 2.2 right? (Cause we only have 2.1 so far)

9. phapn thread starter macrumors newbie

My car didnt need the ISO convertor. Did the new one help yours? I have to say it is a bit intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Out of approx 50 tries, I have had about 10% failure. Failures include car not recognising phone at all(not even charging-maybe due to loose cabling which I need to checkup), and music displayed on screen and not working and receiving the dreaded "This accesory is not made for iphone".
    I am going to be speaking to parrot about this.

What errors are you seeing? I have found if you open the ipod software and then connect to parrot it seems to work better.
    Just to confirm. I am using iPhone 3G firmware 2.1.

What firmware version is the Parrot kit showing? (This is in Settings > Advanced).

On the upside the bluetooth is fantastic.

10. andyjsi macrumors newbie

Sorry - don't think i had enough caffeine yesterday - mines 2.1!

I'd just been reading posts on 2.2 when i did that yesterday!

I've not got a screen on mine, so don't know how to check the software version on it. new cable arrives this mornin so i'll try and fit it at lunchtime and let you know.

If its "made for ipod" we shouldn't be seeing the "this accessory is not made for iphone" should we? When I connected mine up before, it wouldn't charge or play music. when i tried to pair it, it continually failed - if there is no improvement with this cable, i'm going to put it down to a duff kit and get it swapped over.