Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukenorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Still with everything going on, there is no "real" advancement in iphone in your car. I guess until apple lets bluetooth go with the car, or the iphone gets airtunes over wifi. It won't be happening.

Why doesn't Eclipse or Kenwood make a dock for the iphone and make the iphone the head unit instead of you controlling the iphone through the head unit? I think the iphone would be a sweet head unit/GPS in its self. If only you could get to to play nicely without a FM adapter in your car!

Think of it like those crazy people who put mac mini's in their car. But here you only got your iphone and you can take it with you!

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Still with everything going on, there is no "real" advancement in iphone in your car. I guess until apple lets bluetooth go with the car, or the iphone gets airtunes over wifi. It won't be happening.

Why doesn't Eclipse or Kenwood make a dock for the iphone and make the iphone the head unit instead of you controlling the iphone through the head unit? I think the iphone would be a sweet head unit/GPS in its self. If only you could get to to play nicely without a FM adapter in your car!

Think of it like those crazy people who put mac mini's in their car. But here you only got your iphone and you can take it with you!

Uh, there's plenty of good iPhone-compatible head units out there that don't require FM transmitters. In fact, if you even have a cassette adapter you can have a pretty good solution for what you're saying: you get the iPhone headphone adapter with a built-in mic and clicker, you hook it up to the tape adapter, and plug it in. You'd just constantly keep the tape adapter on, and you'd control everything through your iPhone; you'd hear the person talking on the car speakers, and you could just speak normally and the mic would pick it up. If you've got a head unit with a tape player, it'll only cost you $20 total for this functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.