iphone + car stereo

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Private Dirt, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

Is there a way to listen to the iphone over the radio like you can the ipod.. I plugged my ipod cord(for my car)into the iphone and it said "this accessory is not supported." or something very close to that.

It would also be awesome to be able to listen to say Pandora on my car radio and bypass satellite.

Thanks!

2. ineedamac macrumors 6502

You can do it, I listen to my iPhone in the car all the time. I have a cord that is inserted into an AUX jack on the radio and the other end is inserted into the headphone jack on the iPhone. I can also make and receive calls and listen over the radio. The ultimate hands free device.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just hit "No" when that message comes up. It will still work just like an iPod and any sound out will go through the dock connector cable. Pandora radio works great through the stereo. I've used it a lot like this. Good luck.

4. Private Dirt thread starter macrumors regular

Private Dirt

5. CTYankee macrumors 6502

be careful of charger/auidio cables. I had the old Road Trip or whatever it was. It was a power adapter and audio line out in one unit. The voltage on these was higher and could kill your battery or damage the phone. I had to return that phone because it got so flakey with crashes and hanging. Now using the Belkin Power something and it works much better. phone stays cooler and no issues.

6. Private Dirt thread starter macrumors regular

Private Dirt

I just got back from lunch and was able to try out my Monster Radio cable. It worked (didnt charge) over the radio but the quality was lame. I had to turn the volume all the way up and it wasnt near loud enough, well for me anyway. But I really like being able to listen to Pandora in my car! I love that station!

I'll keep a feel out to see if its gettin to hot.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Don't use FM transmitters... just plug it into the iPod cord and ignore that warning. The warning is only there because some people get GSM buzz sounds in their speakers from being connected to EDGE. If you're on 3G you won't hear buzzing and even on EDGE, the buzzing is usually minimal if you have a good system. Just tap "no" and enjoy your music while it charges.

8. Private Dirt thread starter macrumors regular

Private Dirt

I guess thats the problem.. its all one cord. But it works great on my home surround sound system. I will just go and see about a different cord. Prolly get one cheap at Circuit City??

I am on 3g..btw I got my phone last friday. Not that it matters.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I just got the Road Trip thing from Griffen today. Works great. I live in Chicago so it's hard to find a static station, but my car doesn't have the inputs.

10. spring macrumors regular

I have a iPod connector added on my car (Dension) and it works. Like people have said, just click no. However, with my 3g, it doesn't charge anymore, but when I had my 2g it would charge as well.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's unfortunate. The 3G charges over a USB connection only. The iPod cable in your car must be FireWire.

12. Psoftkidd macrumors newbie

Iphone all of a sudden won't play music

I'm hoping someone can help because Kenwood support has not. I have Kenwood car stereo that has the usb and aux inputs for the iphone. When I first got it and used my usb cable, music on my iphone played great.

About a month or so ago it stopped working. Kenwood said I need to get their special cable. So I did. It still will not play music from my iphone.

Kenwood now says it's because some apps will interfere and will prevent the music from playing.

Has anyone else had experience with this?