Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I am trying to see if this is actually a bug:
Normally, when you select "Carrier" in settings, your iphone spends about 30 seconds before it lists all the available carriers in your region. I noticed that when put my iphone through a "no network" cycle whereby you take the iphone somewhere where there is no signal (such as in an underground parking) and then back to an area where there is a signal and do the carrier search, it just searches forever without returning any list of carriers. The only way to have it display the list again is to switch the iphone off and on again. I tried doing a google search on this to no avail.
Could you please verify that this is indeed a bug? Remember, you need to go through at least one "no network" cycle to replicate this problem.

Thanx

affenage

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
I don't think I can do this, since I cannot find an option for a carrier (locked AT&T iphone 3g).
But it reminds me of a bug I think I have with obtaining an IP address. When I use iNetwork test, the first time I open the app, it endlessly searches for my IP address until it finally quits out. If I then restart the app, it immediately opens with the IP address filled in, and will run a speed test. This does not happen when on WIFI. Usually it will work several ties after the first time-out, but if I change locations, or wait a few hours, it has to run through the search for network address all over again.
This did not happen before 2.0.1 and is still happening after 2.0.2
I was wondering if some of the 3g/EDGE onnectivity issues may relate to problems re-assigning a network address. But I am not real fluent in this area... just wondering.
sue

PredatoryWasp86

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Kansas
something pretty much exactly like this used to happen to me with a crappy old motorola phone about 3 years ago. i tried getting a replacement phone and it did the same thing. i ended up having to just get a new kind of phone.

man this problem is so frustrating i know.

have you tried talking to att customer service?

affenage

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
Well, I can't say I'm actually having "problems". Mainly I use the phone in 2 places - home, where I only have EDGE, but exclusively use WIFI, and work- where I have great 3G coverage, and most days speeds of 500kps. A few days ago it was consistently 1.2Mbps, and I think that means my reception is a-ok? I never have dropped calls, but then again I don't use my phone much while driving between areas of differing coverage. So other than the one app, I can't honestly complain about my iphone (which I love!)
sue

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I don't think I can do this, since I cannot find an option for a carrier (locked AT&T iphone 3g).
sue

It doesnt matter if you are carrier locked you can still scan the carriers in your area by selecting "carrier" in settings. This function is needed so that when you are traveling to a country where your carrier does not exist, you can select a carrier with which your carrier has an agreement!

Can anyone pls confirm this bug for me???

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It doesnt matter if you are carrier locked you can still scan the carriers in your area by selecting "carrier" in settings. This function is needed so that when you are traveling to a country where your carrier does not exist, you can select a carrier with which your carrier has an agreement!

Can anyone pls confirm this bug for me???

I'm sure your bug will be fixed eventually. There are a lot more higher priority issues than this one considering the vast majority of users won't use it.

STOP BUMPING YOUR THREAD!!!!!

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I'm sure your bug will be fixed eventually. There are a lot more higher priority issues than this one considering the vast majority of users won't use it.

STOP BUMPING YOUR THREAD!!!!!

Sorry but I beg to differ, this might not seem like a serious bug to those that live in the States and remain their most of the time, but for those in Europe that roam a lot, this is a headache!

Nuendo

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
I'm in Canada and I have the exact same problem with my iPone 4. If I lose signal, the only way I can get it to pick up again is by rebooting the damn phone. Even reformatted my phone recently. That fixed the problem with the call forwarding function/ prompt not opening. I believe this is a bug in the operating system since it never had this problem with earlier versions. Please let me know if you hear of a fix for this.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.