iPhone case for snowboarding? (max protection)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thebard, Nov 24, 2009.

1. thebard macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm looking for something to put my phone (3GS) in when I snowboard. I already have a case on the phone, but I want to be able to put it in a full enclosed case, and when (if) I ever need to use my phone (say to find someone on the mountain), I will then take it out of the case and use it. Basically I want maximum protection if I take a spill. Again: I already have a case on the phone, so I'm not looking for something like an Otterbox defender, I'm looking for something totally different, something like a snap case that fully encloses the iphone and wont allow any damage to the phone (unless it comes out of the case, or if I take a really super nasty fall, which in that case, I'll have bigger problems.... :) ).

Thanks!

2. V4705 macrumors 6502

thick case + leather holster ("pouch") should be fine for almost everything.

3. lollicup macrumors regular

to me its just too big of a risk to go snowboarding with an iphone. Ive had 3-4 friends who had their water sensors turn red because they had their iphone in their pocket

Me and my friends just use walkie talkies ( $30 for two)

immediate response, you can keep your gloves on ( unlike the iphone) and you don't have to worry about damaging a $500 piece of equipment

If you still need music, get yourself a 2nd gen ipod shuffle

4. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

Otterbox 2600 Series PDA case, its totally drop-proof and water-proof

5. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

otterbox is known for their protection
    may be a lil bulky but it does its job well

6. thebard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately, I don't think I described what I was looking for well enough. I am not looking for something that is functional to be able to use in the case (like the Otterbox 2600), I'm looking for something that completely covers the phone with no part of the phone showing. This would prevent the screen from breaking if hit in just the wrong way (my biggest concern), and the Otterbox 2600 will not protect this. This would be something like shown here: http://snapshot.sysv.com/photos/snap_case.jpg

Obviously not something that big, that that gives the idea of what I'm looking for. Basically if I ever did need to use my phone, I could take it out of the case and use it that way.

Thanks!

7. boonchunt macrumors newbie

Gmask Skin? Could protect your iPhone for every corner & edge, it was sth I've been looking for, but not sure if it suit you.

It can protect against any potential scratches, important thing is it doesn't leave any stains after removal. Safe!

visit www.gmask.com for info if you want.

8. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
  9. iJules macrumors member

10. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
  11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

12. thebard thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the Pelican case is exactly what I'm looking for! I am mostly concerned with shatter protection for the screen, not so much waterproofing since I only plan on using the phone if need be to find someone. The Otterbox won't protect against screen shattering as much as I'd like to feel comfortable with. Plus the Pelican seems to be "water-resistant" which would be enough if I managed to accidentally drop it, which probably wont happen hardly ever. It also seems that there is enough space to allow for an iPhone with an existing case on it. This is good since I have a Switcheasy Neo, which as some of you may know is not the type of case you want to go through the trouble and be spending time taking off and putting back on on a regular basis. Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm gonna give the Pelican a try!

13. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

14. boonchunt macrumors newbie

i'd still recommend Gmask as fundamental against any potential scratches, if it meet yours objective.... :)

15. coolings macrumors member

You will be satisified with the pelican case. I have one that I put several phones in while on my boat. I learned the hard way by ruining two phones on my boat. I have had no problems, and the case has gotten quite wet. Also, the rubber lining will help with impacts. Also, pelican offers different sizes, if you want to get a box to hold all of your important stuff (like wallet, keys, etc.).

16. ComitSteve macrumors newbie

17. appview macrumors member

appview

18. Deepek macrumors newbie

Deepek

19. cfairbank macrumors 6502

I have always used the otterbox defender when boarding and have felt safe with it. Never any issues. If you want to take it a step further you can put it in a ziplock bag as well.

When boarding I make a riding playlist that is a couple hours long. Put in my earbuds and use the in line controls to manage songs and volume. Never have to take the iphone out of my inside pocket.

20. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I use a generic eBay OtterBox case. Only costs $5 and protects from falls. I put the case in my chest pocket (internal) and that should take care of the phone getting wet. Then just make sure you don't wipeout.

21. Maziar macrumors 6502

I also needed a case with a good protection, and i found the OB defender a little bulky for my taste so i went with OB Commuter and I'm quite happy with it, it offers good protection(maybe not as good as Defender) and is less bulkier too.

22. zzzzz macrumors newbie

I just pre-ordered the lifeproof case it claims waterproof up to 2 meters. They have a video to prove it. It is 20 bucks more than the otterbox defender, but it is most definitely worth it.

http://www.lifeproof.com/