iPhone cases / accessories and design

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by WillMatters, Dec 6, 2013.

1. WillMatters macrumors newbie

WillMatters

Hi All,

Great to see the popularity of this thread and the number of people that care about the iPhone cases and accessories that they use. Being a product designer I have followed this forum for a long time searching for feedback on the trends and opinions of the design and compatibility issues with the cases and accessories on the market. Having previously worked with some of the leading accessory brands in the industry I recently formed design focused accessories brand RUBIX.

I am hoping to get some feedback on the forum here, not only about the products we are launching, but to also open up the discussion about these issues:

- Any compatibility issues you have encountered when using your iPhone case? (docks, headphones, cables)

- Who does design the best? What are your favourite products / brands in the industry?

- The most important feature you look for when shopping for an iPhone case?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AUGMENT for iPhone is the product we are launching which is a unique, premium iPhone case and series of matching accessories. The AUGMENT series of accessories currently consists of a dock, charging module and headphones. The products are specifically designed to seamlessly work together and complement each other in style and function.

Everyone will have a different opinion about the styling, but I am also looking to get feedback about the range of accessories and whether there are any other suggestions for additional accessories that could be integrated into the product family.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on the topic.

2. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Wow that case looks incredible! Would love to try one out! As for best brand, my current favorite is Spigen. I like their slim armor s and tough armor series because they use the air cushion technology(they call it) as well as having many color choices. It's nice having champagne colored case with your champagne colored phone. Some cases have issues fitting off brand lightning cables and/or headphones so make sure 3rd party cables fit your case!

3. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

Thanks bhags8 I'm glad you like the design! :) Great to get some feedback too.

I'm familiar with Spigen's product, but have you found that those cases offer much improved protection over more simple and slimmer cases such as Speck's CandyShell offering? I've always felt that those basic combined rubber / plastic cases offer roughly the same protection without the extra bulk.

I thought if people really need something with more heavy duty protection, most people would have to opt for a Lifeproof / Otterbox / Taktik case with front screen protection also..?

Obviously there is a demand, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

4. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

That definitely looks quite slick, might even convince me as a no-case-person to get one for my iPhone 5.

Does the above picture show the case front? If so, I'm not sure I like it. Looks like some kind of rounded rubber while the back (the lower picture) has only clearly defined lines.

Will it be available in Germany?

5. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

:) That's great to hear! and yes it will be.. :) it's currently in the crowdfunding stage.

6. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

I am also a Spigen fan and I would like to see more pictures of yours. But I wish the people at Spigen would make a belt hook case to carry them in. :)

7. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

Seems to be a lot of Spigen fans here..? :) A belt hook is an interesting idea, although I think it would be difficult to integrate with their cases.

If you are interested you can find out more about my product here

[​IMG]

Does anyone else have ideas / suggestions about other accessories? Or frustrations / improvement ideas for existing products?

8. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

No belt hook. Keep it simple. Tight tolerances for solid fit communicate quality to user. Be sure finish and fit are durable. No signal degradation. Can be pricey but not obscenely expensive.

I'm a little concerned that sharp corners will be damaged within a week of normal use.

Otherwise it looks amazing.

9. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

No I am talking about a belt hook case to slide the phone and case into to carry it.:)

10. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

I do think a belt clip would be nice. And Spigen probably offers the same protection as the others but just offers better colors and the cases look much nicer. One thing though about your case, I hope you don't HAVE TO use all those accessories.... How does that charging thing work?

11. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

Thanks again for the great feedback bhags8! :) I definitely can understand why Spigens clean design appeals to a lot of people. Especially because as they are maintaining those Apple style finishes (champagne, silver etc). They do make a quality product.

You definitely don't 'have to' use the accessories in the product family. Similar to other cases, the case will still work with most other accessories.

The charger module basically snaps into the base of the case when you need to charge to provide an alternative to battery cases. The idea is that you don't have to carry around a bulky battery case that you might only use to top up your battery every now and then.

----------

Thanks Dascoyne! :):)

I can assure you the corners won't damage easily. The edges are still slightly rounded and quite comfortable to hold. The outer material is also a softer, but still durable TPU rubber material (similar to Spigens rubber / Speck CandyShell inner rubber). I've tested the prototype extensively and there are also other cases in the market that have previously used a similarly square design.

Personally I agree with keeping it simple, but I know there are still a lot of fans of belt clips out there. I think most of the belt clips out there currently are all for the larger 'tough' cases. Has anyone come across a nice simple belt clip they really like?

12. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

How much are you charging for these and is there any samples? ;)

13. WillMatters, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

:) What do you think about the charger module concept?

It always seemed strange to me that people are willing to increase the size of their phone (sometimes more than double) by using a battery case just to charge up from time to time. However, the cable hanging out of your phone and being tethered to a larger power bank is also far from ideal.

Does anyone have any feedback about this?

Unfortunately I don't have samples yet, but if the crowdfunding campaign for the case and dock is successful we will very soon after. (igg.me/at/augment)

Also the cases are $30 (inc shipping) and the charger modules are yet to be finalized, but will be approximately $25 using Apple MFi certified parts.

14. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

This case is very attractive.

I wonder about hand fatigue while holding it for any length of time with its square edges...

15. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

Thanks for the feedback pocketdoc! :) I can understand how you might think that by looking at the design, but during user testing comfort wasn't been raised as an issue. It's a soft rubber outer material and not overly thick (only slightly thicker than an iPhone 4) so it's quite comfortable when compared to holding a bare metal handset.

16. iVW macrumors newbie

17. iOSHacker1 macrumors newbie

Best iPhone 5s cases

Here are some of the best iPhone 5s/5 cases that I like.

----------

That is an incredible case! Well done

----------

That is an incredible case! Well done

18. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

Thanks iVW! :)

19. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

Thanks iOSHacker1, really glad you like it! That's also a great list of iPhone cases and an awesome blog that you run too. :)

20. ngocnguyen macrumors member

I like the ultra modern minimalist approach of Augment, but functionally (just the case, not the system)...the points would tear through my pockets within a week of usage....ruining my $200 pair of jeans or my shirt pockets....guaranteed...aluminum, stainless and plastic business card cases do the same.

21. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

Thanks very much for the great feedback ngocnguyen! :) I would love to hear about some specific examples / models of the cases that have torn through your pockets. I can imagine that would be a pretty frustrating experience! :eek:

From testing our prototypes I can vouch for the case design and that it isn't uncomfortable in the pocket and that the soft outer later material is very user friendly. I haven't had any issues with pockets tearing (the corners are slightly rounded), but perhaps my dance moves aren't as good / vigorous as yours are. :D;)

You sound like a perfect product tester! Perhaps we should keep in touch.

22. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Ya I hate that when it tears up a pair of my $800 bloomers. :mad:

23. ngocnguyen macrumors member

I carry my iphone in my back pocket most of the time..so the constant sitting, driving, getting up adds quite a lot of friction between iPhone and fabric

Even back in the 80s when I used to carry a comb....the comb would eventually wear its way through...and it had rounded corners.

24. WillMatters thread starter macrumors newbie

WillMatters

I see.. that's understandable. I will do some back pocket testing with the new samples we have coming soon to see how it performs. I am still confident the softer outer material will stand up well, but there is definitely more strain on items in the rear pockets. Thanks for the great detailed feedback!

25. MAvery macrumors member

- Any compatibility issues you have encountered when using your iPhone case? (docks, headphones, cables)

Not personally, but I know that's a common complaint among my friends who have bulkier cases.

- Who does design the best? What are your favourite products / brands in the industry?

I personally use a custom photo case I had made with Shutterfly: http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-gifts/custom-iphone-cases.

I chose them because I didn't want some big (and usually ugly) case that looked just like every other big, ugly case out there. I love that I was able to make exactly the case I wanted without compromising the shape and feel of my phone.

- The most important feature you look for when shopping for an iPhone case?
    Protection and style.

I think your cases seem interesting, but I'd like to see more options where style and color are concerned. It has a nice, sleek look, but I really value being able to personalize accessories to some extent.