iPhone causing MacBook Pro to go to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmisker, Oct 17, 2008.

1. tmisker macrumors newbie

I have something very strange with my MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo (production december 2006) in combination with my iPhone 3G.

When I put my iPhone on the place where my right wrist rests, take it away (2 seconds) and put it back there, my Mac goes to sleep. I tried it several times and it keeps repeating, it was not a one time thing. It does not work now anymore, though. (And now I keep getting a lot errors in console regarding FireWire, 17-10-08 18:11:16 kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid!)

What could cause my MacBook Pro go to sleep? Is there a sensor somewhere near the SuperDrive?

I'm not interested in solutions, that's easy, just stop putting my iPhone on top of my Mac. I curious if somebody else can reproduce this by doing the steps above.

2. munckee macrumors 65816

I believe the computer sleeping is triggered by a magnet in both the lid and the bottom case. When they get near one another, it triggers sleep mode. There must be something in the phone that's setting off the magnet...

3. kenny113 macrumors newbie

LOL. Glad I'm not crazy. My MacBook Pro just started doing this today for some reason. I set my iPhone on the right wrist rest all the time, but it now consistently puts the MBP to sleep. Weird.