iPhone Cellular Data Usage Doesn't Add Up???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by radar2000, Jul 18, 2017.

1. radar2000 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 6s and for the past 2 months, I've received notices from my carrier stating that I'm about to go over my data plan limit. This is strange as I rarely go over my limit and nothing has changed from my daily usage habits.

My carriers billing starts on the 11th day of the month. This period I had decided to track my usage on my iPhone and had reset the statistic under the iPhones Cellular Data Usage page/function.

Again, I'm 6 days into my billing period and it's showing that I have used 626 MB already. This is also confirmed on my carriers app. Wait what?!!

I then decide to count all of the data from each app from my iPhones Cellular Data Usage page, and it equates to 70 MB. That's a 556 MB difference!!!???

Anyone else experiencing this with their iPhone 6s?

Any suggestions / recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers!

2. radar2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. noobinator macrumors 601

Which app is eating up your data? Maybe you need to turn off some things from downloading when on cellular?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

If the numbers don't match, look on the account page on your wireless provider's website to check usage for data.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Are you only looking at app usage? Apps tend to use more data but they're not the only things that use data.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

What carrier do you have?

Verizon and my "current period" usage have been pretty spot on for me - maybe a 50mb difference here and there.

Verizon's usage page has a VERY detailed breakdown of what they think is using the data. I'd definitely look there.

6. radar2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.

I'll take a deeper dive to see what's hogging the data.

Cheers!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you also adding system settings data used?
    Its not just Apps that use carrier data.

8. neilw macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I have noticed the same thing for the first time this month. My cellular usage is reading at about 350 MB, while the sum of all the individual app usage (including system services) is about 112 MB. That's a big difference, and I haven't the foggiest idea what's causing it. I surely would like to.

I checked my usage on my Verizon account and it matches (approximately) the 350 MB number. So more than 2/3 of my data usage for this month is completely unaccounted for in the app-by-app usage listing.

9. fartnugget213 macrumors member

I turn off all of the background processes regarding location.

For instance, under location -> system services, there are tiny pings that send data to apple about certain specifics, like location of WiFi networks, travel speed to update their maps etc.

I'm not sure how much data it uses but I'm not about to find out.

In addition to that I turn off all automatic updates, only doing them when WiFi is on, and I also turn off all background app refreshes aside for essential apps (Phone, Messages, E-mail).

10. neilw macrumors regular

Agreed, but all of those uses should be accounted for in the usage list. WiFi assist is a separate item (in my case it shows 68 KB of usage) and most of the other stuff is itemized under System Services (33.6 MB for me at the moment) etc.

Any usage should be listed there, but clearly there's something quite significant that is not. Strategies to reduce data usage are useful, but it's a lot easier to manage when you can figure out what's using all the data.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good info.
    Maybe something Apple needs to address with a software fix.
    The data is counted but not displayed correctly on what app/process it was used on.
    Interesting.