iPhone centered around kids now?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Deasnutz, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

The multi-colored iPhones and IOS7 ui changes seem to look like apple is going straight for the kid market these days.

Kind of making me feel like it doesn't quite fit anymore.

2. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Only the lower cost iPhones will come in colors as well as black and white (probably). As fur the UI, they went from colors, green felt, wood, leather, etc. to just colors. It seems like they'd do the opposite if they were targeting kids.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

And this is all before the general public gets ahold of it. We'll see what that reaction is going to be like.

5. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Its about time someone has spoken the truth.:rolleyes:

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

centered around kids? no.

marketing to kids? for sure. that's not new news.

7. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I see more and more threads bashing iOS 7 and saying "STEVE JOBS WILL NEVER HAVE ALLOWED THIS" etc. etc. etc.

8. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Even the kids hate it now. It's LOSE-LOSE sadly :(

9. Deasnutz thread starter macrumors 6502

Its apples market to give away. I predict Tim Cook is gone before two years.

10. notrack macrumors 6502

Maybe they are trying to split the target group into young/fun and adult/business. (But it might also require two different looks of iOS.)

11. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

I think they're doing a good thing, give the "lower cost" iPhones to the kids and keep the proper phones for the adults, that way iPhones lose their association with kids in a way

12. buckyballs macrumors regular

The reason they're doing colours for the low cost iPhone is probably because they don't want it to look as premium and have people that would have bought the higher-cost iPhone buy the lower cost one instead. They don't want to cannibalise the higher-cost iPhone as they will probably make a higher profit on it. The idea of the lower-cost is to attract people that would never have bought an iPhone before.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

The wallpaper affects the feel of iOS 7 greatly. Put a rainbow wallpaper and it will feel kiddy. Put a solid color, sports team logo, sports car, athlete, or something similar as your wallpaper and it won't feel kiddy.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Absolutely. And by clearly segmenting the market in two, Apple can start raising the price of the premium phones again (since the adults can afford it!). Even better, the adults will no longer get pissed over resale value dropping sharply after one year (like it does now). I suspect the 5 will be completely removed from sale when the 5s appears and not be discounted and sold cheaply to the 'kids'. That, alone, will please a lot of current 5 owners.

15. appleisking macrumors 6502a

iphones dont have an association with kids... not here in America anyways.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

it doesn't really have an association at all--all kinds if people have it these days especially.

17. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Every kid who's seen iOS 7 on my iPhone has loved it, and that's quite a few (family friends' kids etc).

Just thought I'd share my experience.

18. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I think the purples/pinks and pastels of os7 speak more to girls than kids in general.

19. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

I think the people talking about how iOS 7 and the new iPhones are for kids and how "Steve would never have allowed this..." have a blind spot. Part of Steve's revitalization of Apple was the rainbow colored iMacs, iBooks, etc and the originally gaudy Aqua interface for OS X that Steve said, "One of the design goals was when you saw it you wanted to lick it."

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't think lower cost is necessarily for kids. Sure would be more affordable for them, but I know my kids all 7 or younger use more resource intensive apps on their minis than i did on my iphone 5. Since i got my DSLR I don't care about camera.

21. darster Suspended

Thanks for the laugh today! If you feel like the phone doesn't fit anymore because of the colors, then move along. Sheesh, colors? Really? Really? :rolleyes: Good. If this gets rid of the owners who think they are special because they own an iPhone, or somehow makes them feel better, then role out the colors now!

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

What purples/pink/pastel? Are you using the same iOS7 as the rest of us?

The Yahoo app... Sure... But that has nothing to do with the OS.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

23. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

24. davidinva macrumors 6502a

The kids in my family that have phones want the larger look - so are going for Android. They mostly text and take pictures. Operating system doesn't seem to be a concern to them.

25. AFDoc macrumors 68030

doesn't fit what? Your expectation that you would be the only one with an iPhone like it was with the first one? OR doesn't fit your idea that apple = prestige? Not sure what you're going for. They want to make money and if selling a lower cost iPhone will help them do that then go for it I say. NOW if we could get them to lower costs for products across the board we would be golden.

I bet he's going to see this and start looking for another job! I'm sure he believes you have your finer on the pulse of consumers.