iphone charger questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anarchy99, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Hello,
    Currently I have an iPhone 5, I want to clarify some charging questions that I have heard differing answers on.

I have heard that an iPhone comes with a 1 amp charger and an iPad comes with a 2.1amp charger
    Some people have said that if you use a 2 amp charger (whether be the apple one or a third party one) the iPhone will charge quicker

other people of said the iPhone will work with a 2 amp charger but still only draws 1 amp and won't charge faster because that's what it needs.

which one of these is accurate?

also assuming an iPhone doesn't use more than 1 amp is that still the case with the 6 and/or the 6+?

thanks

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

3. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The lightning ports on iPads and iPhones are identical, and there's nothing on the device end that restricts/limits the incoming amperage. So yes, using an iPad charger will charge the phone in less time. You wouldn't want to use much more than 2.1 amps though as you'd run an increasing risk of damaging electronics inside the phone.

4. techiebug macrumors 6502a

In theory the phone will only pull 1amp but in reality it indeed charge faster with a 2amp charger. I would use the iPhone stock charger if I were you.

5. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6/6+ can draw the 12w/2.4a from the new iPad charger. Any iphone prior to the 6/6+ maxes out at 5w.

6. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

In previous tests an iPad charger charges at the same rate as the iPhone charger. The phone will not draw more than 1amp.

I will do the same test on my iPhone 6 and report back. Just as soon as the amazing battery runs out. #