iphone charger you just lay the phone on

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
my stepmother said there was a charging mat for iphone. all you had to do was place the phone on it and it would charge using magnets or something. no plugs required. anyone know where this is or what the name of it is.

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
my stepmother said there was a charging mat for iphone. all you had to do was place the phone on it and it would charge using magnets or something. no plugs required. anyone know where this is or what the name of it is.
I recommend doing a google search for "inductive charger for iPhone". I'm pretty sure there are a few around - they will all (I think) require you to use some kind of extra case around the phone.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It's called Inductive Charging, there may be a case for the phone you can get that will enable you to do this, but certainly not out of the box.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Powermat

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Their useless imo, you need the case for it which is a cheap feeling plastic case on the outerside. So if you have a case, you'll have to remove it each time, put on the charging case, and either use the cheap charger case, or remove it each time from charging and put your case back on. That would annoy the heck out of me.

The whole "wireless" charging is just gimmick marketing. Now if you could just drop any phone on the mat as-is and charge, then we'd have something to talk about, maybe in upcoming years lol.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I'm surprised they haven't made a 4s battery replacement for it
Me either.

----------

Their useless imo, you need the case for it which is a cheap feeling plastic case on the outerside. So if you have a case, you'll have to remove it each time, put on the charging case, and either use the cheap charger case, or remove it each time from charging and put your case back on. That would annoy the heck out of me.

The whole "wireless" charging is just gimmick marketing. Now if you could just drop any phone on the mat as-is and charge, then we'd have something to talk about, maybe in upcoming years lol.
Yea hopefully with new technology we won't have to put on a case and can just drop it right on the pad to charge

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I've had a PowerMat for a few years now. I use it with my 1st gen iPod touch.

The case is actually pretty nice, and has a vulcanized finish over the plastic. Now that I have the phone, my iPod has now become a glorified remote control, so it works for me.

Not sure I'd put a PowerMat case on my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.