iPhone charges while MacBook sleeps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by makismagoo99, Nov 13, 2007.

1. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I don't know if this is new because of Leopard, iTunes 7.5, or iPhone 1.1.2, but my iPhone now continues to charge when I leave it in the dock and close the display on my MacBook. My Energy Saver settings are for the computer to never sleep, but I'm pretty sure the computer sleeps when you close the display no matter what. At any rate, this is awesome because I don't have to leave my MacBook awake just to charge my iPhone!

Anyone else noticed this?

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

is the light on the front of your macbook pulsating? if not, it's not sleeping...

3. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Yes, the sleep light comes on when I close the display.

4. aviddk macrumors regular

I don't have a macbook but a white iMac C2D 2.16 and the last bios update seemed to have turned on USB ports while my iMac sleeps. FWIW

5. RL600 macrumors member

I've noticed this. My MBP never charged my iPhone while my MBP was sleeping, it does now though.

I like it!

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm using iTunes 7.5 under Tiger with 1.1.1, and I've not seen this behavior. It's likely either Leopard or 1.1.2 that is to credit.

7. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Yeah it definitely never happened before I upgraded to Leopard. But I can't be sure if it was Leopard or 1.1.2 that caused it. I love it!

8. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

This is a Leopard thing....
    I posted a link to macosxhints(.com) which proves this but my post got removed (not sure why)....so i'll not link to them again!
    Just search on their site.

9. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I wonder if it works for iPods too? When you un-dock the phone does the system wake up?

10. patankumar macrumors newbie

That is not possible.

I dont think you will be able to charge your iphone while the macbook is in sleep. If it is charging then the macbook pro is not in sleep.
    Does the sleep indicatior blinks?

11. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I think you misunderstood or didn't read very carefully. If I leave my iPhone docked, and shut the display of my MacBook, the iPhone still charges. Yes, the sleep light blinks. I was curious if anyone else had experienced this behavior or if I was just lucky. :p

12. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I have a Macbook Pro and when I shut the lid on mine, the sleep light blinks. I have noticed that the iPhone will still charge in this situation.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I posted this on macrumors and macosxhints the day after leopard came out. Its a Leopard feature.

jon

14. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Cool. Thanks, man.

15. playdeep macrumors newbie

My recently purchased Macbook Alu

My macbook doesnt charge my iphone when i close the lid. My wifes does as does my friends alu macbooks. My buddies black macbook will also. I have Leopard since the computer is less than 6 months old from the Apple Store. What can I do ? It will blink the apple logo and appear to charge but then stops charging after a minute or so. I have checked all the settings and cant figure it out,.