iPhone charging annoyance

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by lamerica80, Mar 10, 2014.

1. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Since ios 7 apple have made it very cumbersome to charge the iphone.

I like to charge mine at work, and after using a 3rd party lighting cable without problems for a long time, ios7 made it very clear it hates that cable. The constant unplug/replug, warnings, etc. I gave up and purchased an extra original cable.

I charge it via an un-used laptop docking station, solely for the UBS power. However the phone now informs me this device "might not be supported". Until i click "ok" - IT STOPS CHARGING. Meaning, if i dont see this, i would think my phones is charged when its actually not.

Seriously apple - enough allready, just let us charge our damn phones using whatever cable and usb power source we want.

Rant over.

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Don't use a third-party cable. Anyway, you get an official cable included in the box.

3. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

...that i use at home. Im not about to carry a cable around. Anyway i would have thought that when using an original cable it would be problem free, but no.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Apple are protecting you with these simple methods! You have seen what knockoff chargers do haven't you??

5. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

A cable takes up so much room doesn't it? Ah, you shouldn't using third-party cables anyway, doesn't do the device any good.

6. Altis macrumors 68020

They get damaged over time from everyday transport.

I could see a potential issue of data transfer over a really cheap cable, but sending power really shouldn't be a problem. 5VDC at <1A over a few feet only needs continuity on the conductor.

7. TonyYYZ macrumors member

Unfortunately this is one of the drawbacks to a 'Walled-Garden' approach. Apple has made it clear that they are being very restrictive with the Lightning cables. You'll unfortunately have to pony up some $$$ for a few more oem/certified cables or jump ship to a device that uses the world adopted MicroUSB.

8. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Not supportive of third party cables - fair enough.

However, to halt the charging until i "ok" the fact that the "device may not be supported" (even when using a real cable) = :mad::mad::mad: