iPhone Charging Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willie5566, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

I am increasingly having issues charging my phone. Initially it started out where every once in a while I would not be able to get it charging. I would mess with it and it would work. Then it go where I could not get it to work and I would change the cables I was using. Sometimes it would help and sometimes it would not. It is important to note that most of my issues have come from charging through various USB plugs and not the wall outlet plugs Apple provides. Also important to note is I ONLY use official Apple lightning chords.

As I mentioned this issue has been increasing. I now have had issues with almost all USB charging whether it was through my work computer, car USB, radar detector chord.... I have about 5 lightning cables and they all have the same issue.

This morning I even had an issue with an iPad wall plug and a lightning chord. Did I mention the frequency has increased? I got a message saying that the accessory was not supported.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

usb 2.0 is only 5v @ 500 ma. this is not enough power to reliably charge apple products. you should only charge apple products with the actual iPhone / iPad charger or a macintosh and not a windows pc.

current used for charging various apple gadgets
    iPhone up to 5s = 1000 ma
    iPod touch 1000 ma
    iphone 6, iphone 6+ = 2150 ma
    ipad 2150 ma

if you are using a generic 5v @ 500 ma charger or a Windows computer, you should expect it to only charge when the iPhone is turned off.

another thing you can do is brush out any lint or debris out of the lighting port

if its not charging with the stock lightning cable and stock iPhone charger, then the iPhone needs to be checked out to make sure it is still good, the genius at your local apple store will be glad to do this for free

3. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Great info. Thanks. Dissappoing though as it appears it eliminates most methods for charging through USB.

4. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

an iphone will charge fine even at 500mA. it may not be as quick as on a 1A port but there's nothing unreliable about it.

5. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Well mine is not charging and I often get that the accessory is not compatible. What do you think that means?

6. rigormortis, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

I've seen posts on mac rumors where they connect their iPhone to 5v @ 500 ma with it powered on and the battery came pretty close to being damaged.

judging from my experience with mobile hotspots that take more current then an iPhone, i believe that 5 v at 500ma on an iPhone WITH ITS SCREEN ON is just a holding or a floating charge. and if you want it to charge the display has to be turned off (sleeping) or the entire gadget has to be turned off

also some people could be assuming their macs are 5v @ 500 ma, but they are not. they are 1000 to 2100 ma
    and its been that way since at least 2008 or 2010 on most models

7. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

interesting. in my unscientific observations over the years, all of my iPhones through the 5s with their screens on will tick upwards in charge percentage, albeit slowly. this is while pulling at most 500 mA. i suppose it's load dependent since i rarely do anything taxing while on a charger.