Iphone charging on late 2012 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by streetfoldsfive, Jan 22, 2013.

1. streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

I have a late 2012 27inch imac. While it is asleep if i plug a device in it does not start charging until the computer wakes up. Also when I plug my iPhone in at night I put the computer to sleep when I wake up the computer is running sometimes and looks like the iPhone was unplugged and plugged back in. Any ideas mates?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

The Mac doesn't produce enough power to the USB ports when sleeping to start charging a device. I don't even both to try to charge via the usb ports - I always charge with the little wall charger.

If you have iTunes running and plug in the iPhone it will start charging and continue charging even when the computer sleeps.

3. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Clearly the machine is defective and will probably go on to develop image retention issues and yellow tint. Send it back immediately

4. nitroglicerino macrumors newbie

I don't understand, You said the iMac doesn't produce enough power when sleeping, but it does if iTunes is running? :confused:

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm not sure if I explained it right... It has something to do with how the usb ports work when system sleeps. However, a search will find other people dealing with the same issue - I had a thread on it where someone told me it will keep charging during sleep if you start charging while awake.

I used to know the details of the firmware but since I retired I lost touch.