iPhone Chrome Apple - polish?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sauceking, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Sauceking macrumors newbie

I've managed to keep my iPhone gen 1 in really nice condition so far *knock on wood*. I usually wear basketball shorts and the material is really soft and doesn't scratch the chrome. However, there are some ugly marks on the back of my phone from putting it on the table etc. The scratches on the chrome apple look almost like a spider-web window shield crack. Wondering if anyone has had success with "buffing" the logo? Yes I know this sounds OCB. :apple::p

2. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

I wouldn't suggest it. It doesn't appear to be an insert in the mold, so I suspect it is quite thin and buffing it might actually wear it off.

Do you mean OCD (as opposed to OCB)?

Sort of like the folks that obsess over avoiding charging their battery (concern that it won't last long), I have to smile at the folks that are going out of their way to keep it looking brand new. They would DIE if they saw my old Treo 650 which had paint worn off and more nicks and scratches than you can count (but still worked great after 5+ hard years of use.)

3. Sauceking thread starter macrumors newbie

the B stands for behavior and I think its just another term for it ;)

4. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

sandblasted

I do sandblasting reguarly with my cell phone on my belt. You should see how eroded it is just from secondary sand hitting it. it's about three years old though

5. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

I think sandblasting would have me worried enough to cover it up -- sand on glass isn't a good thing (unless you happen to be a glass blower).

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I dropped my 3G on concrete. No major damage, but I got a small rough edged nick on the chrome bezel. Being a wristwatch collector, I have a "jeweler's rouge cloth", which is essentially a very fine abrasive bonded to a rag. I rubbed the crap out of the corner where the nick was and took it down to a very smooth small ding. I imagine it would work very well on the Apple logo.

7. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

Again, watch out, that apple logo is not insert molded, but is painted on it. What you are suggesting will take it right off the back.

8. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

scratch's add character and put hair on your chest.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

On the 3G, yes, but on the 1st gen? I thought it was a polished area of the metallic back.

10. DPBida macrumors newbie

The 1st generation iPhone was a mold. If you took it off, you'd see a little chrome Apple logo insert. Unlike the 3G Apple logo, which is painted on.

11. n8236 macrumors 65816

Where do you suggest I buy one of these "jeweler's rouge cloth?":apple: